Unearth a new favourite, go diving, surfing, windsurfing or cruise the bay. From safe swimming beaches to driftwood piles inviting you to build a fort. Tauranga is the vibrant hub with Mount Maunganui Main Beach the well known celebrity beach should not overshadow the glorious beaches of the Bay of Plenty. There is 125 kilometres of coastline to explore, dip your toes into the water or stroll along. Uncrowded spots for a relaxing holiday aplenty.
Sunset and a beach bonfire. Light the fire below the high tide mark and extinguish the fire before departing thoroughly. Leave only your footprints.
WEATHER IN THE BAY OF PLENTY
Bay of Plenty is warm, with consistent summer temperatures between 23 – 28c and water temperature around 20c.
BAY OF PLENTY BEACHES
From Waihi Beach travelling south the Bay of Plenty offers a string of beachside communities and beaches for every taste from surf beaches, beaches where driftwood and solitude create zen places for couples and the solo walker to safe family friendly foreshores.
Check out the beaches for the perfect holiday spot.
A thread of beaches from Waihi Beach, Athenree, Bowentown, Katikati, Mount Maunganui, Mateku, Matata, Ohope, Whakatane
WESTERN BAY OF PLENTY BEACHES
Athenree & Bowentown beaches and estuarieslearn more
Anzac Bay - Bowentownlearn more
Omokoroa beachlearn more
Te Puna beach - Waitui reservelearn more
Kauri Point Jetty - Katikatilearn more
Tirohanga Beach Holiday Park
BOOK NOW! CAMPING AND CARAVAN SITES / BUNK ROOMS / CABINS / TOURIST FLATS. Sunny beach front location, dunes trail for kids, cafes and op shops nearby, fishing, large club events. OPOTIKI ACCOMMODATION FOR EVERYONE!Book now
EASTERN BAY OF PLENTY BEACHES
Newdicks Beach - Maketulearn more
Pukehina beachlearn more
Matata beachlearn more
Thornton Beachlearn more
TRAVEL PACK INFORMATION
- What to do at the beach, wellness treatment tips and treatment
- What to do at the beach: driftwood mansions & art
- What to do at the beach: Sandcastle building tips
- Water safety, Safe swimming areas. Swimming Water Quality in the Bay of Plenty. The Bay of Plenty Regional Council monitors water quality in a total of 84 swim spots, including 29 coastal beaches, 24 lakes, and 31 rivers. Water is monitored weekly from October 31 to March 27.
- MATAKANA ISLAND, An island escape to Matakana Island is inviting. The privately owned island has a number of public beaches and heritage sites. The ocean facing beaches with their rolling surf are also home to endangered shorebirds meaning care must be taken and notices followed around avoiding nesting sites.
Paddling the Eastern Bay of Plenty with KG Kayaks will set you up with everything you need. They also offer guided kayak tours to Moutohora Island or a moonlight trip across Ohiwa Harbour. Spectacular moments for couples. Located 3 Kutarere Wharf Road, Kutarere 3198, New Zealand.
Cruise the Tauranga Harbour
Tauranga Cruises is a great way to explore the harbour in the 1953 beautifully restored boat. Perhaps a picnic onMatakana Island or a half day finding out what lies beneath the waves. The choice is yours.
BEST BITS TRAVEL GUIDE