February summer continues with Aotearoa New Zealand celebrating its National Day Waitangi early February. Join the fun and book early to avoid disappointment.
Is it your first time in New Zealand and not sure what to do? Check out nz best things to do and let’s sort out which is the best month to visit to tick off your bucket list holiday activities.
What is happening in New Zealand in February?
In NZ summer weather in February is mostly warm with long summer nights and families with kids are back at school freeing up beaches and resorts. Enjoy summer with half the crowds of January. February (and March) is an ideal time to hike the Tongariro Crossing or explore the outdoors on the numerous walks New Zealand has to offer.
- Splore music, costumes set in Tāpapakanga Regional Park (Auckland)
- Marlborough Food and Wine Festival (February): This is New Zealand’s longest running wine festival, right in the heart of the sauvignon blanc award winning region.
- Rugby Sevens (January to February). A very popular event with thousands turning to watch the country’s favourite sport in New Zealand’s capital city, Wellington.
- Wellington Fringe Festival (February to March): Outdoor entertainment adds to the vibrant Wellington waterfront charms.
What is the best reason to visit New Zealand in February?
The best reason to visit NZ in February is the continued summer weather with only half the number of visitors in New Zealand compared to January. This can lead to travel deals and less crowded tourist hot spots.
North Island NZ February monthly average temperature:
- Average low 13°c
- Average high 24°c
South Island NZ February monthly average temperature:
- Average low 9°c
- Average high 24°c
Check out New Zealand average temperatures for the month you are planning to visit either the North or South Island. Or anywhere in between. The most reliable weather forecast service is NZ Met Service.
Weather in New Zealand is four seasons in one day. Aotearoa New Zealand is several skinny narrow islands isolated in the southwest Pacific Ocean. Glorious day throughout the year is a promise together with the option of rain throughout the year.
Seasons are the opposite to Europe, United Kingdom, North America (northern hemisphere) creating a great winter escape for our neighbours in the Far East and beyond. Peak season is summer, December to February.
Travel pack information
- NEW ZEALAND PUBLIC HOLIDAYS
- Monthly temperature data is sourced from Monthly | NIWA. For visitors fascinated by climate change data NIWA provides a rich publicly available resource to browse
- Source The uniqueness of New Zealand plants an excellent school resource handy for visitors to help understand NZ’s unique biodiversity