August is a photographer’s dream with snow dusted landscapes, rivers white water torrents and the beginnings of wildlife returning to New Zealand land and coasts welcoming the glimmers of spring.
Is it your first time in New Zealand and not sure what to do? Check out nz best things to do and let’s sort out which is the best month to visit to tick off your bucket list holiday activities.
What is happening in New Zealand in August?
In NZ in August imposing snow clad mountain ranges, crystal clear lakes and waterfalls are beautiful. With school kids back in the classroom in Australia and New Zealand there is a slight decrease in the crowds on the snow slopes. August is a busy month for tour buses and expect popular tour operators to be fully booked. The South Island wildlife humpback whales pass by Kaikoura on their way north to warmer waters. Northland and Rotorua are great places to visit in August with the promise of a toasty warm natural spa and milder weather. August is winter in New Zealand with cold blustery weather and rain.
- Capture the vivid light show of the elusive Aurora Australis (Southern Lights) making a coveted appearance. Hope for clear skies and check forecasts.
- Bustling, full of good cheer Queenstown, Arrowtown and Wanaka travel guide, attractions, things to do and places to visit offer plenty of things for visitors to do in winter with pop up festivals and events
- Celebrate the cold and chill wind with a Winter Safari in The Catlins, Southland and discover why it’s a great idea to explore Invercargill
- Find out 10 outdoor winter holiday ideas, where to go & what to do: Best Bits
- Discover Winter holidays, rain, wet weather where to go in New Zealand – Best Bits
North Island NZ August monthly average temperature:
- Average low 4°c
- Average high 15°c
South Island NZ August monthly average temperature:
- Average low -1°c
- Average high 13°c
Check out New Zealand average temperatures for the month you are planning to visit either the North or South Island. Or anywhere in between. The most reliable weather forecast service is NZ Met Service.
Weather in New Zealand is four seasons in one day. Aotearoa New Zealand is several skinny narrow islands isolated in the southwest Pacific Ocean. Glorious day throughout the year is a promise together with the option of rain throughout the year.
Seasons are the opposite to Europe, United Kingdom, North America (northern hemisphere) creating a great winter escape for our neighbours in the Far East and beyond. Peak season is summer, December to February.
Travel pack information
- NEW ZEALAND PUBLIC HOLIDAYS
- Monthly temperature data is sourced from Monthly | NIWA. For visitors fascinated by climate change data NIWA provides a rich publicly available resource to browse
- Source The uniqueness of New Zealand plants an excellent school resource handy for visitors to help understand NZ’s unique biodiversity