And why is the place so popular in the first place? Rotorua is where the earth’s core introduces the power and might to the surface.
Rotorua everybody knows something about the place. It stinks of sulphur, it is wall to wall motels and camping grounds, everything is expensive, visitors are charged to go anywhere, it is full of large mass transit tour buses.
Out of the geothermal energy Rotorua has developed an array of visitor experiences. The majority of these experiences have admission fees. Polished, world class entertainment and visitor interaction means visitors to Rotorua are not disappointed with the calibre or quality of the experience.
Currently this travel guide is not going to list experiences as the future is uncertain for some due to the heavy dependence on mass tourism.
- Zip lining through native forests, canopy tours
- Visiting the buried village
- Rotorua farm experience (for urban dwellers)
- Geothermal spa/soaking/treatment
- Themed entertainment venues where fun is part of the ticket price
- Water based activities such as white water rafting
All of the above can be described as, the air has a distinctive odour of sulphur, of the earth discharging gases as the heated core meets the surface, there are numerous accommodation options available to suit any budget and location is not an issue, there are geothermal areas where the entrance fee supports the upkeep of the area rather than being simply a commercial enterprise and large mass transit tour buses are not on the horizon for foreseeable future.
The earth rumbles, it boils water and sends fountains into the air as superheated steam. The earth melts rocks and forms weird molten shapes out of compressed rock particles. The earth liquidises mud and slowly bubbles mud pools into goopy pools of steaming mud. The earth vents in places such as car parks and people’s backyards without warning. The earth puts us on notice we are not in charge of the display cycles, it is up to the elements when and where spectacular displays of power and might will eventuate.
The geothermal potential for tourism and visitor experience has created:
- Pools to blissfully soak in
- Pools as a basis for spa treatments
- Pools as a theraphic medium
- Mud for cosmetic products
- Mud for facials and massage
- Geothermal displays to view
- Landscapes created by the elements to view
- A sense of adventure, of the ‘thrill’ of viewing potentially dangerous core & surface activity
- A source of energy for electricity and cooking
- A source of pride that New Zealand is part of the Pacific ring of fire
- A source of revenue inviting visitors to have fun, to enjoy the spectacle
- A source of cultural pride in the harassing of the elements by people for over 800 years, how people interacted and live with the unpredictability of geothermal activity
TOP TEN REASONS TO VISIT ROTORUA
TRAVEL PACK INFORMATION
Visit the official website for Rotorua tourism and enjoy choosing what to see and do.
The journey is worth it.