Warm soft lighting at sunset, great photo locations and places to share adventures Rotorua delivers romance with a dab of Hells Gate mud
Relish Rotorua’s ability to deliver romance. Adventure beckons with tandem zip lining and soft lighting is supplied by nature with sunsets over the treetops. There are opportunities to picnic in secluded groves and to slather your partner with warm sticky mud at Hells Gate. Rotorua is where you will laugh together. For trip inspiration check out ROTORUA TRAVEL GUIDE and places to eat, Rotorua where to eat, dine and enjoy great views.
The setting sun is a blaze of colour and you share the moment together.
- Kuirau Park with the mist swirling around your partner as the sun sets
- Sulphur Park boardwalk with the silica creating an extraordinary landscape
- Pukeroa Hill (also known as Hospital Hill) is a great location to watch the sunset together over the historic Maori village Ohinemutu Village, Mokoia Island and Lake Rotorua.
WHERE TO TAKE A SELFIE TOGETHER
- Lake Tarawera jetty is a magical selfie location any time of the day
- The Redwoods at night with the lit lanterns
- Government Gardens in spring with the tulips, a picnic blanket and angle the photo upwards
- Hells Gate slathered in mineralised mud
- Kuiau park boardwalk with the mist swirling around a magical landscape
- The Tarawera Falls Track runs alongside the Tarawera river and has many lookout points and information stands. Carry on past the Tarawera Falls lookout to more cascades and a swimming hole
- Duck tours to Hot Water beach, its quirky transport from land to lake and back. Fun, amusing day trip with the pleasure of warm mineral water to soak in.
- Lake Okareka is a quiet achiever with its picnic spaces, swimming, water sports, kayaking, waka ama and rainbow trout fishing. There is a DOC scenic campsite with forward bookings not required, first come, first served basis Lake Ōkāreka conservation campsite: Lake Okareka Scenic Reserve, Bay of Plenty region. Camp under the stars
- The Kaharoa Kōkako Track, also known as the Hollows Track, offers a great opportunity to hear these incredible birds. Kōkako song is honey. The beautiful repertoire of clicks, buzzes and quiet humming is distinctive and very romantic. Singing to your mate, your family does not get any better than hearing nature beat the romantic notes. The track wanders through bush to the picturesque Onaia Stream. Perfect for a picnic and you can swim here. For more information Kaharoa Kokako Track: Rotorua Lakes tracks and walks
THERMAL HOT POOLS
- Hells Gate with yourselves slathered in therapeutic mud fun and your skin is going to look good
- Kerosene Creek free geothermal hot springs and waterfall in the most Instagrammable location
- Polynesian Spa offers couples shared massage treatment, private spa facilities and the pleasure of lakeside views as they relax into the warm mineralised pools.
Hot Water Beach in Rotorua is where the locals and their boats are found on most weekends. Accessible only by boat, it is great for camping (in summer) or relaxing in the hot springs. You can book a water taxi or a Duck Tour.
ROMANTIC STUFF TOGETHER – ADVENTURE
- Ultimate Canopy tandem tour zip lining through the Redwoods is a highlight as you laugh and look out for each other.
- Ride the gondola to Mt Ngongotaha and return screaming down the hill on the luge. Perhaps you will repeat the experience. TIP: Sunset photo location, watch as the sun descents below the treeline.
- Sunset is the stuff of soft lighting with River Rats Rafts & Kayak offering a combination of a sunset paddle on Lake Rotoiti. Your guide introduces guests to a glowworm grotto, natural hot springs and a BBQ dinner with new friends. The company also challenges you to raft the highest waterfall. The stuff of adventures.
TIP: Zorb rolling down the hill in an enormous plastic ball is right out there. For couples, check if motion sickness is an issue beforehand. The constant rolling weightlessness can cause vomiting.
WHAT TO GET AROUND
Rotorua is flat. How about Happy Ewe Cycle Tours – Rotorua, hire a tandem bike and get a local guide to give you the best bits about Rotorua.
BEST BITS TRAVEL GUIDE