Drop in to see us and you’ll enjoy:
- Two authentic old wool sheds trucked in from local farms, plus a newly constructed gallery building – full of sheep farm gear, including shearing and wool handling equipment.
- Displays describing the history of sheep farming and its importance to our nation. For many years New Zealand was said to “live off the sheep’s back.” The economy is broader now, but sheep are still important and their story is fascinating.
- Samples and descriptions of wool types and wool end-products.
- Spinning and weaving demonstrations on Wednesday mornings and by arrangement. See the history of spinning from ancient times and our collection of spinning wheels.
- The story of shearing – how it began and how it developed to become highly efficient, and an international sport.
- Our shop has a wide range of wool garments, footwear, sheepskin rugs, lanolin cosmetics, gift items, kids’ stuff and souvenirs.