RIMUTAKA HILL LOOKOUT
- Take a selfie alongside the memorial to the prisoner of war camp (WWII – Japanese captured soldiers)
- The stupendous views of the valley below
- Fell Museum with its sturdy single purpose train
- Featherston second hand shops your newly acquired goodies
- An old fashioned bicycle is quaint, found at the Blackwell & Sons Bicycle Shop
- The Victorian streetscape of the 19th century is a glorious timbered facade gem. Remember it is a busy state highway and don’t stand in the middle of the road
- Greytown’s settlers museum with its outdoor weathered vintage machinery
Martinborough offers plenty of scope for the imagination:
- Vineyards with easy flat cycling / walking trails
- Cafes and the quintessential rural hotel with its balconies and verandahs facing the town square
- The local museum is a treasure trove of objects with a chance to pose in a settler kitchen or perhaps in the dining room
- The local Martinborough cinema with its push comforty armchairs
- Join a shearer on the outskirts of Masterton bent over a sheep with his shearing blades in his hand
- Queen Elizabeth park as you whizz around on a miniature train
CASTLEPOINT SCENIC RESERVE
Castlepoint Scenic Reserve, a lighthouse with its stunning sunset location and ocean views. Then there are several interesting walks with lush bush and forest creating a beautiful contrast. A favourite spot is PUTANGIRUA PINNACLES with its extraordinary rock pillars. Putangirua Pinnacles was one of the outdoor film locations for Lord of the Rings trilogy by Peter Jackson.
Interested in wildlife shots then check out Wellington wildlife, 5 must-visit places, what to do & see and capture a fur seal or native bird for your instagram feed.
Eketahuna, a small rural town is a hotspot for interesting selfie locations
- 3D ART MURAL, Local artist Mark Watson has created a 3D artwork that takes over the Chorus building and features flora and fauna that is native to New Zealand
- Outside public toilets with a 19th soldier’s mural, on the ladies entrance and inside with quirky slogans encouraging visitors to stay “just a little bit longer” or “busting to meet you.”
- Streetscape artwork
- Heritage trail buildings
Getting to Wairarapa great selfies and sunset photo locations
BEST BITS TRAVEL GUIDE
Best Bits travel guide is published by nzjane.com. Owned and managed by PacificJane Ltd.
Our editors independently visit tour operators, purchase tickets, pay for accommodation, and rate products and places. We are not paid to go on a tour or visit a place. We only make money if you decide to purchase a product through our website links. We promise to never accept free products from manufacturers in return for boosting their products. Read more about our affiliate programme in the terms and conditions HERE.