Leigh, Goat Island, Omaha and beyond, beaches and parks
North is where Auckland locals go for the summer. There are several glorious regional parks as well as sheltered sandy beaches for a summer fix away from the crowds. The Tawharanui Peninsula is home to a number of wineries, sculpture parks. Spectacular beaches include: Omaha and Point Wells, Leigh and Pakiri beaches, Matheson Bay and the surfing beach Te Arai. Goat Island Marine Reserve with diving and snorkelling opportunities is a highlight for many visitors to Tawharanui Peninsula.
From Mahurangi Peninsula to Tawharanui Peninsula and beyond are a series of eastern facing sandy shallow beaches and towns welcoming visitors for over a hundred years.
HIGHLIGHTS – TAWHARANUI PENINSULA
- Goat Island Marine Reserve, diving and snorkeling the reef
- Ocean facing beaches with swells favouring surfing buffs
- Horse rides on deserted sandy beaches
- Leigh & Matakana cafes, gift shops, bakeries and beach culture
- Tawharanui Regional Park walks
TAWHARANUI REGIONAL PARK
Tawharanui Regional Park is white sandy beaches, rolling pastoral land dotted with sheep, shingle beaches where low tide exposes pippi (shellfish) beds, native coastal bush and forest and regenerating wetlands. The road to Tawharanui passes Warkworth and Matakana and continues winding through rolling farms. The end is in sight when you reach the gravel narrow road. The Tawharanui Regional Park embraces the end of a peninsula that extends into the Pacific Ocean just north of Kawau Island. The long, sandy beach on the northern side is considered to be one of the best swimming and surfing venues in the Auckland region.
TAWHARANUI REGIONAL PARK HIGHLIGHT
- A night trek to observe North Island brown kiwi with Habitat Tours. You can even join the tour from Auckland with a return later that evening.
TAWHARANUI PENINSULA BEACHES
Omaha and Point Wells beacheslearn more
Leigh - Pakiri beachlearn more
Cape Rodney - Okakari Point Marine Reserve (Goat Island)learn more
Leigh - Matheson Baylearn more
Whangateau beachlearn more
Te Arai beach - Surfinglearn more
Travel pack information
For details about the towns please check for best things to do while not hanging out at the beach.
- What’s so great about Whangateau
- What’s so great about Wellsford
- What’s so great about Leigh
- What’s so great about Matakana
- What’s so great about Omaha Beach
- Hauraki Gulf Islands, public spaces for boat trips, guide: NZ Jane
Read more about places to visit in Auckland in our Auckland travel guide.
BEST BITS TRAVEL GUIDE
What do you think about “Mahurangi Peninsula”?