Photo locations are sometimes hard to find
Christchurch is a city perfect for photographers. Selfie locations galore from public art installations, foodie street markets and the Avon River flowing through stunning gardens. Then there is the Port Hills with its sweeping views of city and the Canterbury plains. Check out nzjane’s instagram favourites … and keep us posted.
- #CHCHSWING. While not an original or unique photograph, the location is undeniably fun. Three swings are suspended from huge orange frames. The highest swing is a challenge swinging the brave up to 3 metres in the air. Opposite the Margaret Mahy Playground. Our image is from #chchswing project was developed by Gap Filler. Great work Gap Filler and Fletcher Living.
- Margaret Mahy Playground. Get wet, wild and jump among the kids, teenagers and anyone who doesn’t mind spurting water spouts. Or perhaps indulge the kid inside you with a slide down an enormous steel slide designed for all ages.
- Christchurch street art is a selfie moment in the making.
- Nzjane loves this shot, however it’s not always necessary for people to be in every frame.Think about leaving a glove or personal object on a chair and you are then indirectly positioned in the frame.
- Yourself hopping aboard the Christchurch Historic Tram. See if you can get the snappy conductors in their blue uniforms in the frame. They are very obliging.
- Christchurch is chock full of gardens, lush plantings, spring to autumn pops of colour, from Hagley Park to the Christchurch Botanic Gardens. Honestly look at the daffodils, awesome.
- Crouch down low for a fantastic shot with the tram lines stretching, reaching out to the distant horizon. You could be a tiny stick figure in a shot like this (or not all).
- Cycle through an avenue of trees in Hagley Park, Christchurch Best short walks in Christchurch and pick a day that is not too sunny for a moody sky. Hagley Park is a treasure with plenty of great locations with its natural foliage lines.
- Christchurch is an invitation to picnic outdoors, choose a place with lots of opportunities for photos, check out Christchurch top picnic spots – Best Bits and the rest is up to you.
- Antigua boat sheds are a striped beauty (punting on the Avon River) as this photo illustrates choose the opposite bank of the Avon River for a great frame or a casual snap of you biking past.
- Sumner beach and use of rectangular public Bridge sides are a reference point. It works as the eye is drawn to the liner line. Taylors Mistake and rugged surfers offering photo moments. Or yourself aboard the surf board, why not.
- Get out and about, outdoors and explore Canterbury on the Little River Trail captures the rustic charm of objects weathered into the environment. Capture yourself on a bike crossing the bridge. Dusk is a great time for the sunset glow.
- Leaving town on the TranzAlpine, very sensible, one of New Zealand’s Great Rail Journeys, snap a few shots of you boarding. And make sure the batteries are at full strength. Check out ith this beautiful shot of Kura Tāwhiti/Castle Hill, visited on guided tours or self-guided Day Trip From Christchurch to Arthur Pass – Best Bits.
- Who needs Roys Peak (Wanaka) when you have plenty of hilltop locations on the Banks Peninsula for a panoramic shot
- Definitely out of town (Christchurch) Lake Coleridge is stunning year round … The climb to the top of Peak Hill rewards walkers with sweeping views of Lake Coleridge and its surrounds.
- Blossoms are a perennial favourite for selfies, all that ephemeral soft pink blush beauty location, Christchurch Botanic Gardens.
- Did you know nearby is a boutique wine trail with plenty of photo opportunities, check out North Canterbury, Hurunui wine and food trail.
- Hurunui is out of the way and offers beautiful vistas and moody shots, check out Hurunui scenic road trip routes what to see and best things to do.
- Even Father Christmas is in the selfie mode, punting on the Avon River.
- Last, but not least Semsi’s artfully rusted sculpture is a perfect foil for your selfie, photo location. Christchurch is awash with public installations and sculptural pieces, check out the majestic bull standing guard at the Christchurch Art Gallery.
And the bonus check out Christchurch the odd, fascinating and unusual places to visit. For more information about holiday ideas in Christchurch click Things to do in Christchurch places to visit, attractions, activities & heritage.
BEST BITS TRAVEL GUIDE
Best Bits travel guide is published by nzjane.com. Owned and managed by PacificJane Ltd.
Our editors independently visit tour operators, purchase tickets, pay for accommodation, and rate products and places. We are not paid to go on a tour or visit a place. We only make money if you decide to purchase a product through our website links. We promise to never accept free products from manufacturers in return for boosting their products. Read more about our affiliate programme in the terms and conditions HERE.