Running out of ideas for a romantic weekend then Waikato is the place to be. Diverse entertainment from urban Hamilton to remote quiet locations. Consider beach settings of Raglan or lakes and rivers in central Waikato. Think about adventures from ballooning or leisurely afternoon teas amidst a flourishing organic tea plantation. Romantic activities can range from picking daffodils to a weekend in a luxury lodge in Cambridge.
WHERE TO TAKE SUNSET PHOTOGRAPHS
- The classic is Raglan with its surf beaches with the sun sinking below the horizon. A favourite spot is Ngarunui beach.
- Find Sunset Takeaways and rug up on sunset beach. Aptly named iron sand sunset beach is a painted blaze of evening colour; Port Waikato
- Hamilton river walks with the fading light glitting on the water
WHERE TO TAKE THE BEST SELFIE
- Otorohanga kiwiana street trail is amusing and ripe for an amazing photo
- Cambridge leafy main street is a blaze of autumn colour, stark tracery in winter and glorious leaf green in summer
- Hamilton glow worm tour on Hamilton Lake is a local favourite date location
- Marokopa The 30 metre high falls are phenomenal and while readily accessible are not usually on the tourist circuit. The impressive waterfalls are located in Tawarau Forest. Due to ongoing maintenance of the trail, check Department of Conservation lookout is open.
- Bridal veil falls, Raglan are visually stunning
- Hamilton street art, get creative and strike a pose together
ROMANCE IS IN THE AIR – SMELL THE FLOWERS TOGETHER
- Gordonton in spring among the daffodils at Clandon Daffodil Farm
- Ngatea Water Gardens with fountains, quirky tin collection and gardens plenty of places for a quiet hand in hand stroll
- Hamilton Gardens with over 20 speciality places to choose you are going to find a special spot for the two of you. Popular locations are the paradise collection or Italian Renaissance Garden with its flower beds in geometric patterns.
- The chefs at Zealong have created gourmet picnic boxes which can be pre-ordered online and enjoyed at a spot of your choice in the gardens where copper sculptures pay tribute to the history of tea. You have a choice of your own picnic or a picnic table complete with a Zealong umbrella overlooking acres of camellia bushes (aka tea plants).
- Te Aroha Mineral Spa is an oldie but goodie for couples
- Lavender Backyard Garden, select gifts to remember the moments together from distilled oils, natural aromatherapy and skin care items
- The perfect place to walk hand in hand is Taitua Arboretum with its wooded pathways, picnic tables and chickens pecking at the crumbs. Walk around Hamilton lake and refuel for a coffee at The Verandah cafe.
- Te Waihou walkway to Putaruru Blue Springs makes for a fascinating day exploring Waikato’s top attraction
- Sip champagne and enjoy breakfast after an exhilarating ride in a hot air balloon
BEST BITS TRAVEL GUIDE
Best Bits travel guide is published by nzjane.com. Owned and managed by PacificJane Ltd.
Our editors independently visit tour operators, purchase tickets, pay for accommodation, and rate products and places. We are not paid to go on a tour or visit a place. We only make money if you decide to purchase a product through our website links. We promise to never accept free products from manufacturers in return for boosting their products. Read more about our affiliate programme in the terms and conditions HERE.