Surf, walks to find goblins and breathtaking Mt Taranaki
Discover quintessential New Zealand spirit in the small towns of Taranaki. Find great places for a photo opportunity. Enjoy exploring heritage places where the only people are your family, friends or yourself.
The small kiwi towns below are part of our KIWI TOWNS series. Often the towns are on one of our road trips. Your holiday in Taranaki offers a number of interesting roadies, places to go from a day exploring gardens and parks to a wander looping through the region. Take time to check out Taranaki day, weekend and road trips for inspiration and stop at the small towns onroute.
- Walks along coastal cliffs where a mosaic sofa invites you to take a break
- Surf Coast Highway with the wild ocean beaches, small towns and quirky culture of Taranaki is personality plus.
- Weekend markets and treasure trove of antiques, second hand stores to find
- New Plymouth art, culture and the every present Mt Taranaki to explore
“Best Bits” take a detour, wander down side roads. The journey is worth it.
WHERE TO TAKE THE BEST SELFIE
A town with a fascinating past as the place where the modern dairy economic powerhouse for New Zealand had its origins.
- Pick a town mural, for instance heritage mural on King Edward St or Rotokare Reserve mural on The Village Gallery wall
- Pick a heritage building such as 1901 Old Post Office building on Bridge St
- Eltham toy wall with its quirky display
Learn more about What’s so great about Eltham, what to see and best things to do.
A place where a song gripped the nation the rest is history.
- Wharf remnants at low tide, atmospheric and moody photo moment
- Iconic replica waka hoisted onto its concrete plinth, Aotea Memorial Waka
- South Taranaki Museum whare (house) front entrance design entrance
- Patea Maori club entrance with its vibrant signage
- Town motto ‘Home of Poi E’
- Whale rib sculpture Garden of Tutunui
Learn more What’s so great about Patea, what to see and do.
Surf Highway 45 is a homage to the surfing beaches of Taranaki.
- Cape Egmont Lighthouse is a spectacular sight on the coastline. Open by appointment only
- Art deco community owned cinema, watch a film and snap a photo at the same time
- Discover ‘secret’ cliff top gardens complete with mosaic sofas and quirky letterboxes on the local Opunake loop trail
Learn more What’s so great about Opunake.
- Romantic locations abound at Hollard Gardens
- The enormous loaf of bread is a great selfie location
- Jack Russell statue of George the hero dog who saved kids from a pitbull attack
- A place where the New Zealand toy metal vehicles Fun-Ho were manufactured and now are part of the town’s identity
- LAKE MANGAMAHOE. A shared well sign-posted circuit walk takes you on a journey around Lake Mangamahoe through production forest, up to impressive lookouts and among mature ornamental tree plantings, great photo opportunities
- EVERETT PARK SCENIC RESERVE, Walk, swim, explore a glow worm cave or picnic in Everett Park Scenic Reserve. The Manganui River is a local favourite swimming hole
Learn about What’s so great about Inglewood.
MOUNT TARANAKI photo locations
HANGATUHUA STONY RIVER WALKWAY
- Superb locations for photographing Mt Taranaki
- Peaceful river swimming holes
The Stony River (Hangatahua) Walkway offers a riverside walk in the surrounds of the Taranaki town of Okato.
Learn about What’s so great about Okato.
Superb location for visiting Mount Egmont National Park
- Enjoy a day in Egmont National Park enjoying the goblin trail
- Discover Taranaki’s Dawson waterfalls
- Spend a few moments waiting for the clock to strike in the glockenspiel tower for Romeo and Juliet to appear
Learn about What’s so great about Stratford, things to do.
EAT & DRINK
- Lake Rotokare picnic with locally sourced Eltham cheese as a set piece in the photo moment
- Fish n chips / burger and fries watching intrepid surfers challenge the elements. A bit of nip in the air, simply rug up and enjoy
- Visit the largest bread factory in New Zealand and get a fresh off the production line, sticky bun (YARROWS)
BEST BITS TRAVEL GUIDE