Romantic places, things to do for couples, West Coast, South Island
Ditch the flowers and visit the West Coast, South Island instead. Borrow luscious scenery and the day is sorted.
WHERE TO TAKE THE BEST SUNSET PHOTOGRAPHS
- Pick a beach with its driftwood strewn foreshore, sweeping views and tumultuous seas and you have a great backdrop for a togetherness photo
- Lake Brunner lodge as the sun sets on Moana (Brunner) Lake, check out Lake Brunner what to see and do for further holiday inspiration
- Romance on a budget, grab a great sunset photo moment at Ross beach top ten holiday park, on the beach (sunset photo). NOTE your accommodation is a converted shipping container nestled among New Zealand flax, beachside stays don’t come much better than this budget number
COUPLES, ADVENTURES TOGETHER
- Punakaiki Pancake Rocks is a must-go destination for visitors to the West Coast afterwards book a double hulled kayak and leisurely explore Paparoa National Park. Punakaiki Canoes offers rental kayak trips into the heart of the Paparoa National Park, 1km north of the Pancake Rocks and blowholes at Punakaiki. The peaceful Pororari River and lagoon with its majestic limestone gorge and lush rainforest. Check out details with Punakaiki Canoes
- Wonder at the soaring beauty of herons on the Okarito Lagoon. The outstretched wings of a heron in flight are memory making moments. TIP: Take a kayaking trip
- Lovers of natural places will relish the Waitangitaona Wetland Walk is a short walk opposite the White Heron Sanctuary Tours Within 15 minutes you have entered a kahikatea forest on a raised boardwalk to the viewing platform overlooking a large pakihi swamp (rushes, ferns, moss, and manuka) with sweeping views of the Alps. For more ideas check out What’s so great about Whataroa
- Hang out in Shantytown, Greymouth and enjoy the replica wild west 19th century village and make sure you share a stagecoach ride together
- Buller River is a white water guarantee for lovers of jet boat rides (for more ideas what to do in Murchison check out Murchison travel guide)
UNIQUE THINGS TO DO ON THE WEST COAST
- Go tubing in a glowworm cave with the Underworld Rafting Tour . Based in Paparoa National Park, is a complex underground cave system. You get to float on tyres on the Nile River flowing through the caves. There are not hordes of tourists all vying for a vantage point as access to the caves is strictly limited by Underworld Rafting. And the best bit is Underworld Rafting have exclusive tour operator access to the caves
Walk the nearby Truman Track and discover a place where a waterfall splashes directly onto a beach (low tide only).
ACCOMMODATION, WHERE TO STAY – A TOUCH OF ROMANCE
Rimu Lodge Hokitika Boutique luxury accommodation nestled in native bush, yet only a 10 minutes drive from Hokitika. Rates inclusive of continental breakfast.
Lake Moeraki Wilderness Lodge Lake Moeraki. The stunning natural setting of Wilderness Lodge Lake Moeraki, surrounded by lakes, rivers, rainforest and seacoast in the heart of Te Wahipounamu, the southwest New Zealand World Heritage Area.
Breakers Boutique Accommodation located on the Punakaiki coastline overlooking the Tasman Sea, a boutique bed & breakfast that offers panoramic sea views. Close to the Paparoa Track and West Coast Wilderness Trail and numerous other shorter hiking and biking trail options.
HOKITIKA FIRE STATION built 1866 now funky motel style accommodation. A top pick for Hokitika for its quirky character, location and well thought out facilities.
TEICHELMANN’S BED AND BREAKFAST (HOKITIKA) is a cute historic home now a gracefully restored B&B with every room ensuite. Charming Victorian elegance restored into contemporary comfort.
QUIRKY PLACES TO STAY
BAZILS HOSTEL & SURF SCHOOL – WESTPORT
It honestly doesn’t come much better than this for getting yourself organised on a budget. Bazil’s Hostel and surf school is your gateway to surfing, paddle boarding, hiking, kayaking, mountain biking and caving adventures. Located in the centre of Westport just behind the i-SITE and bus stop.
Denniston Plateau is on your bucket list, then this is a great place to easily access the Plateau. And don’t forget to check out the Westport Coal Museum, an absolute must for visitors
TE-PAHIKA – HOME – GREYMOUTH
Doesn’t the sound of a crashed railway carriage sound quirky? Restored into unique accommodation, complete with kitchen, bathroom and rustic outdoor bath it’s a great place to stargaze as you soak in your own personal outdoor setting.
15 minutes south of Greymouth
Hurunui Jacks | Canopy Camping glamping with style just 12 km from Hokitika, Luxury canvas tent with wood burning stove rests on the banks of the Kaniere River. Tucked up in your comfortable bed, lie back and listen to the sounds of the bush.
Hokitika Kiwi Holiday Park and Motels – HOKITIKA
A modern holiday park with bells and whistles offers Motel, Unit’s and Camping accommodation.
Ross beach top ten holiday park, on the beach (sunset photo)
Accommodation and amenities are in repurposed and upcycled shipping containers… It’s amazing how much comfort you can fit into a small space… Blissfully relaxed amongst our natural landscape of NZ Flax.
Jackson’s Retreat Alpine Holiday Park is the only Camping, Caravan, Motor Home/RV Holiday Park on the Great Alpine Highway 73 linking Christchurch on the East Coast with the beautifully diverse West Coast and Glacier Region. There are 15 acres of terraced non-powered, powered and tent sites. Go camping against the mountain backdrop. For those not yet ready for the full camping experience there are ensuite cabins available. There are large covered barns for tents, just in case it rains (a lot).
CHARLESTON LODGE (PAPAROA NATIONAL PARK) is located midway between Westport & Punakaiki Pancake Rock. An excellent hub for the top attractions in modern standard rooms, ensuite as well as rooms with shared facilities.
FOR MORE ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS CHECK OUT