The enormous public park covers over 80 acres of Invercargill city centre. It is surrounded by the city’s most popular landmarks like the water tower and the Southland Museum. The park has exotic early twentieth trees now at a commanding height, traditional flower bed plantings and native bush walkways. The park contains two specialised rose gardens. The Jessie Calder collection of old shrub and climbing roses includes over 900 individual plants representing more than 400 cultivars. There is a children’s playground. And, very important for all gardens, visit a tea kiosk and cafe. Sample the local melting cheese favourite, cheese rolls, dripping in butter and gooey cheese.
The main entrance through the Feldwick Gates, named after John Feldwick who bequeathed the sum of £20,000 in 1913 to develop the park. Look closely at the gates and you will see Invercargill’s original Coat of Arms, a plough, a sheaf of wheat and a bale of wool acknowledging the role of farming and a ship to indicate overseas trade in agricultural products.