Piopio there are plenty of things to do. Play golf on a course where sheep munch the grass or take the kids on a half day trek with llamas and home baked goodies. There are stunning views of the extraordinary landscape worthy of a film set and waterfalls to gladden the heart of any fan. A quiet unassuming place where you will feel immediately at home.
WHAT TO DO IN PIOPIO, HIGHLIGHTS
- Play golf on a course where sheep are used to maintain the grass, who needs a lawnmower anyway?
- Llamas and fibre a perfect combination for crafty visitors and children
- Waterfalls and walks short easy strolls for all age groups and fitness levels
- Piopio heritage museum
- Nearby Waitomo Caves
It’s fun when you are trusted with the keys to a museum. Collect the keys from the Piopio general store (superette) and browse through the memorabilia including an original settlers hut, numerous photographs.
Art and craft cooperatives are thriving in the Old Post Office. Local artisans and artists have established a cooperative art space to market their creations. Unique one of kind souvenirs.
The Crafty Pigeon is another local art shop nearby The Old Post Office.
And it’s a mere half hour to Waitomo Cave making for a great day trip.
WHERE TO TAKE THE BEST SELFIE IN PIOPIO
- Local walks with mossy boulders looking very much like a Hobbit
- Next to the museum’s switchbox with your mobile in hand
- Llamas are great superstars of Instagram photos, grab a shot with you and the llama
- Merv Smith – broadcaster
PIOPIO FOR KIDS
- Spoiled for choice, especially in summer with a fresh fruit berry ice cream
PIOPIO SOCIAL MEDIA
WHERE TO EAT IN PIOPIO
- Summer treats – berries from roadside stalls
Piopio Berry Orchard goes one better with freshly crushed berries folded into vanilla ice cream. There are tempting home baked biscuits and cookies for the road.
WHO TURNED UP AND NAMED PIOPIO?
- ‘The Piopio area has a rich Maori history. Our people are Ngati Maniapoto from the Tainui canoe. The Mokau River is culturally significant to Maori people. Before European settlement, it was a major transport route and food source. There are many former pa and camp sites on the river. Kahuwera Hill (a 378 metre hill east of Piopio) is thought to have been settled for at least 600 years. It was called Whare-Wananga, or house of learning. In pre-European times our area was an important communication route as it was the crossroads of several different tribes. The large Pa at Arapae, north of Piopio, was a gateway for travellers enroute to or from Taranaki. The current Piopio Village is not thought to have been a significant settlement.’ Source Piopio History
- 462 (2018)
WHAT KEEPS PIOPIO TICKING?
- A service centre for agriculture. Piopio is also a rural transport hub.
JUDGMENT ON PIOPIO
- Overnight or several days as a hub to explore the wider Waitomo district with the llamas possibly a winner with the kids
Every town adds to the richness of things to do and see. For more details about the region check Hamilton & Waikato Region nearby attractions and events.
GETTING TO PIOPIO
TRAVEL PACK INFORMATION
- LORD OF RINGS, HOBBIT FILM LOCATION – HAIRY FEET WAITOMO
- Towering limestone cliffs with fantastic views of forests, gNarled trees and moss covered branches is the stuff of magic and mystery. The film location and tour announced it is closed late 2020.
BEST BITS TRAVEL GUIDE