“Kaipupu Point is the closest wildlife sanctuary to Picton. The sanctuary is separated from the mainland by a predator proof fence with public access via a ten minute boat ride from Picton. If you would prefer to visit the Sanctuary via kayak, there is a kayak ramp alongside the jetty. The water taxi ride is considered by many visitors to be expensive. And with New Zealand birds that are not caged it is often difficult to actually view the birds when you want to. Birding is all about the moment and patience. The sanctuary is managed by volunteers. Recommended for people who are kayaking as a part of their sea exploration.
- Open every day of the year, 24 hours a day.
- Admission Free, donations are welcomed.
- The purpose built jetty and floating pontoon at Dolphin
- Bay offer easy access to the 2.7 km circular track.
- Duration Allow two hours for the full circuit or 45 minutes (return) to the northern lookout.