Appleby there are plenty of things to do. Appleby is today known for fresh fruit ice creams and Hoglund Art Glass Studio and Gallery today yet the area has a history of occupation reaching back hundreds of years. Today Appleby sits on the outskirts of Stoke and Nelson and is easily bypassed by visitors on their way to the Abel Tasman National Park and the coastal towns surrounding the park.
WHAT TO DO, HIGHLIGHTS
- Appleby Farms Ice Cream should be a compulsory stop for holiday makers. Berries freshly harvested are carefully wrapped into premium ice cream. Appleby ice cream is a genuine cow (paddock) to melt in the mouth taste sensation
- Hoglund Glass is exquisite and the fire, the sense of wonder as melted hot glass becomes a shape and object of beauty. There is an extensive gift shop and visit the studio where it started in Appleby.
- Heritage fans have several glorious buildings to view
- Stafford Place (61 Redwood Rd, Appleby). The category I building (1866) is a timber framed carpenter gothic house and beautiful. It is a private property. Look at the eaves of the house and detailed carpentry.
- St Albans Anglican Church is delightful with its category II rating; the church sometimes has its doors open during the week.
WHAT TO DO WITH THE KIDS
- Buy an ice cream and one for yourself
- Check out what the local kids are doing at Pearl Creek
WHERE TO TAKE THE BEST SELFIE
- With the ice cream
- Heritage church
- Hoglund Art Studio
WHO TURNED UP AND NAMED THE PLACE?
- THE Waimeha Pa was located between the Appleby River and the current school site. The school enjoys a close relationship with Ngati Kuia, and the land which the school sits on is owned by the iwi. The original Appleby School on the current site was opened in September of 1859. In 1865 the school was presented with the bell from the wreck of the Delaware. This remained the school bell until 1912, when the bell was presented to the Nelson Museum. The Hammond family donated the present bell in 1963. The old classroom, now the Music room, dates back to 1930. The dawn redwood tree in the corner of the playground was planted to commemorate the centenary of the school in 1959.
CONSERVATION – PEARL CREEK
- Pearl Creek is a remnant of an original wetland, once found right around the Waimea Inlet. Today Pearl Creek and its environs support a rich community of native plants, fish, insects and birds.
Pearl Creek Restoration
Pearl Creek, which is 2 kilometres from its spring to the sea, traverses an environment of high water quality and high-value habitat for birds and fish. In the 1980s restoration officially began when an area of Esplanade Reserve was set aside as a result of a subdivision application. Neighbouring landowners agreed to place protective covenants over nearby stream banks and Appleby School and other organisations became involved in restoration planting. In 2000 the Tasman Environmental Trust adopted Pearl Creek as a flagship project.
WHO TURNED UP AND NAMED THE PLACE?
- The name reflects the birthplace of Jacob Batey, early European settler. Appleby was originally called Waimea West, and was one of the earliest farming settlements of the 1840s. Māori had conditioned its rich soils for growing kūmara. Waimea means forgotten or hidden stream. From 1866-1874, a boat named Pearl maintained a passenger and goods service between Waimea and Nelson and probably lent her name to Pearl Creek. As roads improved, the ferry service came to an end – around 1914. Small boat sheds were built near Cotterell’s Landing by those interested in fishing the estuary. When boat trailers arrived on the scene, the sheds fell into disrepair and had all vanished by the early 1960s.
WANT KEEPS THE PLACE TICKING?
- Dairy farming, orchards and agricultural activities.
- 786 (2018)
- A perfect reason to stop is researching NZ gourmet ice creams