Relish double kayaking to Maori Rock Art or cruise the lake at sunset
Romance does not need to cost the earth. Taupo has plenty to offer couples from adventures on water double kayaking to finding out about New Zealand’s owl the Morepork. There are cafes where you can choose together a special memento or fun street art for a funny quirky selfie pose together.
- Cruise Lake Taupo at sunset on either under sail or a more leisurely option in a replica vintage steamboat
- Lake Taupo lookout is a great spot to catch panoramic views of Taupo, the lake and the snow capped peaks of Tongariro National Park
- Tokaanu Wharf is picturesque and quiet, the perfect sunset backdrop
- Your picnic on the Tongariro River trail, quiet flowing water over gleaming stones to powerful rapids.
WHERE TO TAKE A SELFIE TOGETHER
- “I love Taupo” sign by the waterfront, its corny yet endearing
- Together on a boat trip to the Huka Falls with the spray misting in front and behind you
- Street art aplenty for funny, quirky moments with over 80 murals to pick and choose from
- The National Bird of Prey Centre is your incredible opportunity to get up-close to New Zealand’s smallest and only owl, the Morepork. Gloved you get to invite the owl to perch on your closed fist
- In a beekeeping suit, Huka Honey Hive Beekeeping Tour invites visitors to pop into a beekeeping suit and meet the busy bees who keep us supplied with the elixir of life, honey. The tour invites visitors to spin the honey separator and fill their jar with honey. It’s fun, sweet adventure together meeting the bees
- Bungee jump, you are allowed to close your eyes
- Team up in a double kayak and paddle to the Maori Rock Carvings TIP Another great selfie location
- Take turns to steer the boat you hired for a day on the water
- Turangi National Trout Centre is part of Tongariro River trail, enjoy the lush bush walks and quiet corners while gawping at the enormous fat trout lazily swimming beneath the bridge. Pack a delicious picnic and watch the Tongariro River flow by as you relax on the river bank.
- Find pumice (volcanic lava that has rapidly cooled and is a characteristic light grey colour, it is very light weight) on the Lake Taupo beaches for a natural massage.
TIP: Oruatua Walk, This track winds through the Oruatua Reserve and Conservation Area. A pleasant, easy walk where you can enjoy the native bush and wetland area. Length 2km. Duration 30 – 50 minutes
For more massage tips check out What to do at the beach wellness tips. Lake Taupo has plenty of beaches for practicing wellness together.
THERMAL HOT POOLS
- Taupo DeBretts spa massage for couples, indulge and relax into the moment
- Take the plunge at Tokaanu Hot Mineral Baths, The Tokaanu Thermal Pools are budget friendly, unpretentious with the bonus of a short walk through the adjacent Tokaanu thermal area with its boiling mud pools, steam vents and wirey vegetation.
ROMANTIC STUFF TOGETHER
- Enjoy a romantic walk along the riverside, in the botanical gardens
- Conquer the fear together in a tandem bungy jump
- Explore the steaming and colourful landscapes of a geothermal park together
- Eating at Lava Glass Café is a must go venue. An extensive well thought out menu, sofa armchairs to relax in and a glassblowing gallery stocked with gorgeous glass objects. Packing and sending sought after items to your home address is not a problem. Let the professionals at Lava Glass arrange delivery. You will likely meet the artists who are at work in the studio. Choose the object together as a memory moment of your holiday.
- Adventures | Pure Kiwi Adventures | New Zealand offers Fat Tyre Segway. It is pure holiday magic. The fat tyres and comfortable seating makes this a tour for everyone. After a short training session you go off road to find your secret geothermal spot to soak the feet in together.
Where to stay
The accommodation on the lakeside Taupo could be out of your price range. Consider Turangi or small Taupo settlements along the lake. Check out 7 Taupo places to go camping, travel guide, things to do: Best Bits for inspiration
For more information check out Taupo guide, things to do.