A jewel in the crown of public spaces for Taranaki with original native bush that survived the axe, fires and land clearances. Visitors will enjoy the sight of mature trees from tawa, kohekohe and other native canopy trees including pukatea, rewarewa, karaka, puriri, rimu, matai and titoki. There are a number of well signposted walks on firm gravel surfaces.
- LAGOON: The lagoon is a crucial route stop for water birds forming the link between the coast and inland forested areas. Sir Victor Davies Memorial Planting commemorates the work of respected nurseryman, Sir Victor Davies (1887-1977)
- Kororako Pa is an archaeological site that was once home to Maori chief Ererua Te Puke Ki Mahurangi.The land parcel including Kororako Pa was added to the domain in 2012. It was previously pasture and has since been planted out with native trees.
- Rotokare/Barrett Domain is named after the original name of the lagoon, Rotokare (‘rippling waters’) and well-known English pioneer Dicky Barrett. Barrett was gifted the domain from Maori chief Ererua Te Puke Ki Mahurangi when he married the chief’s daughter Wakaiwa (Rawinia) in 1828.
- The Domain is home to the largest plantation of kauri trees outside their natural distribution. This is the legacy of Fred Cowling, a passionate advocate for native trees.