Capital cities and small towns
Discover Wellington, a cool little capital city and nearby small towns in our KIWI TOWNS series.
Discover a town and country feel to Wellington and nearby small towns.
WHERE TO TAKE THE BEST SELFIE IN WELLINGTON
Wellington is incredibly picturesque with its cheerfully painted wooden houses climbing the hills, waterfront attractions and significant body of national buildings.
- Wellywood is the top spot with film characters gracing the entranceway
- Yourself disembarking from Wellington cable car at the summit terminal
- Parliament grounds with a stuffy 19th century statue (take your pick) or there is Queen Victoria looking very regal on Taranaki street
- Matiu Somes Island with the city skyline in the background
- City sculpture with several cheeky installations worthy of a selfie moment
- Wellington street art mural trail
- Red rocks seal colony, amazing hidden Wellington wildlife
- Cape Palliser is one of the top spots for a panoramic ocean to sky to earth photograph. You will have earned the right after the steep climb up 250 steps to the top. Just take a few moments to catch your breath and savour the views
- The Putangirua Pinnacles Scenic Reserve in Aorangi Forest Park is a stunning 1 hour drive from Martinborough. A film location for Sir Peter Jackson in the Lord of the Rings film series.
For more information about walks check 10 Wairarapa short walks for families, where to go, guide: Best Bits for getting outside, outdoors. The Wairarapa is a great place for autumn foliage photographs, especially Queen Elizabeth Park in Masterton.
WAIRARAPA – CARTERTON
The Classic NZ Wine Trail embraces Carterton and nearby vineyards. The town is a favourite for artists with balmy summer weather, nearby urban Wellington with the countryside stimulating creative juices.
- Stonehenge Aotearoa in the twilight with the plinths looking mysterious
- Railway Museum with its charming vintage look, nothing like a vintage train to add nostalgia to a selfie
- Annual daffodil festival and if you are not in town find the Carterton roadside sign instead
- Waiohine Gorge near Carterton is a spectacular gorge carved by the Waiohine River
WAIRARAPA – FEATHERSON
- Japanese prisoner of war camp memorial park, for details check out Featherston Military Camp – Best Bits
WAIRARAPA – GREYTOWN
Check out photos in Greytown day shopping trip, travel guide, what to do & see: Best Bits for inspiration where to grab a great selfie
- Greytown heritage main street bicycle shop and check around the side of the building in case a heritage bike or two is parked up
- Imperial Productions tin soldiers, a glorious cute shop facade off the main street
WAIRARAPA – EKETAHUNA
- Outside public toilets with a 19th soldier’s mural, on the ladies entrance and inside with quirky slogans encouraging visitors to stay “just a little bit longer” or “busting to meet you.”
- Streetscape artwork
- Enormous ‘big thing’ kiwi representing nearby Pūkaha National Wildlife Centre.
WAIRARAPA – MASTERTON
The regional hub for the Wairarapa is primarily a rural service town.
- The Wool Shed Interactive Centre, a great place to find ‘rustic sheep shearing shed’ for background shot
- Queen Elizabeth Park beautiful grounds and lake
- Tararua Forest has a number of walks, tracks
Check out your next road trip and make sure to slow down and explore further.
BEST BITS TRAVEL GUIDE