Discover where crowds relax on grassy banks watching New Zealand’s premier water sports venues. Lake Karapiro, Mighty River Domain is the venue for sporting and cultural events. Explore the stunning location with Boatshed Kayaks on either a guided or self-guided tour.
The Boatshed Kayaks offer visitors a chance to experience Lake Karapiro with the support and advice of passionate locals with awards under their belt.
Either participate in a guided tour or go it alone.
- Glowworm kayaking guided tour. The starting point is the Epworth camp and kayak down a stunning section of the Waikato River to the Pokaiwhenua stream. With stunning twilight lake views. Passing under the Pokaiwhenua Bridge and into the glowworm canyon.
- SUP to a hidden waterfall
- Spend a day on the water paddleboarding or kayaking
Lake Karapiro accommodation and events centre.
Campsite, accommodation, conference and function Centre, public domain on 19ha of park like surrounds. Located on the banks of Lake Karapiro.
- Rob Waddell Lodge Sleeps Maximum 41
- Chalets sleep Maximum 8, 140 Camp – 60 sites powered / 80 non-powered
Kitchens & Amenity Blocks
We offer powered and non-powered campsites, a 41 bed Lodge, 5 chalets that sleep up to 8 people each.
Karāpiro is a hydroelectric lake on the Waikato River. It is a 10 minute drive from Cambridge. The river has flowed through the Waikato region for more than 20,000 years. It has been a source of physical and spiritual sustenance from the time of the earliest tūpuna (Māori ancestors) until today. Above Karāpiro stands Maungatautari, a culturally and ecologically important mountain.
BEST BITS TRAVEL GUIDE
What do you think about “Mighty River Domain, Lake Karapiro things to do and attractions”?