What to do nearby and holiday ideas for families
Family friendly accommodation with plenty of activities, attractions nearby is the recipe for a kids + family holiday experience. Let’s get everyone entertained.
Must-haves when with kids:
- Basic kitchen facilities such as microwave, kettle and decent sized fridge
- Lounge area with seating apart from bedrooms
- Safe space outside to explore the grounds, playground and pools
New Zealand has a wealth of holiday parks and camping grounds which are great places for families where budget is important. Plenty of space for the kids to jump, hop and skip between the tents and cabins to kids only entertainment zones. Check out where to go camping and you will be surprised at the level of comfort in the modern holiday parks.
NORTHLAND FAMILY FRIENDLY PLACES TO STAY
A touch of luxury in the heart of Northland’s visitor destination with Waitangi Treaty Grounds a short 10 minute drive. The resort offers inhouse massage and spa treatments, a restaurant with well regarded menu selection and ocean views for all rooms.
WHAT TO DO NEAR PAIHIA
- Russell and Bay of Islands exploration of heritage Northland and the interaction of two civilisations, the local Maori and the European whalers & missionaries
- Waitangi Treaty Grounds, the emotional heart of bicultural Aotearoa New Zealand where significant 19th century events defined modern New Zealand.
- Swimming, snorkelling exploration sub-tropical reefs and rocky shorelines
- Explore Moturua Island Sanctuary
Northland is a hot favourite for locals to go summer camping, check out 13 best places to camp in the Far North (Northland), tips for a budget holiday in the summer sun of Northland. For those who wish to base themselves in Paihia there is plenty of camping grounds and holiday parks, check out 13 camping grounds in Waitangi, Russell, Paihia & Kerikeri: Best Bits.
HOT FAVOURITE CAMPING GROUND, HOLIDAY PARK
A great location for kids, the 4.2 hectare Holiday Park has mature trees providing shade and the Waitangi River running along one boundary for safe swimming and kayaking up to the Lilypond Falls. The Park hires kayaks to paddle upstream to a tarzan swing, Lilypond waterfalls and great swimming hole. Powered and non-powered tent sites, cabins, chalets and motel units. The grounds have space to have a sense of privacy.
FOR MORE ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS IN NORTHLAND CHECK OUT
WAIKATO FAMILY FRIENDLY PLACES TO STAY
Hmm, washing is a fact of life for busy families. Raglan Sunset Motel has got you covered with shared laundry facilities for guests. Together with a shared spa and BBQ area there is space for the family to relax in the evening. Apartments offer cooking facilities with their own guest courtyard. The warm contemporary design of the rooms creates a welcoming vibe. The
Raglan Sunset Motel is only 100m from the water’s edge, shopping, cafés and bars. A great place for an extended summer holiday or a short break.
FOR MORE ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS IN WAIKATO CHECK OUT
WHAT TO DO NEARBY RAGLAN
- Polish your surfing credentials
- Go Raglan Rock and canyon down waterfalls
- Explore Bridal falls and native forests
- Kawhia hot water beach
- Raglan galleries and walks
Raglan to Waitomo Caves: 92 km – an easy day trip
Raglan to Cambridge, Lake Karapiro: 56 km
Raglan to Sanctuary Mountain: 90 km an easy day trip
TAUPO FAMILY FRIENDLY PLACES TO STAY
Lakefront apartments are located directly on the beach. Family suites open onto private patio gardens or the heated pool and spa area. Upstairs studio rooms offer lake views of Kaiwaka Point Bay. Kayak and SUP hire facilities from Cascades makes this an easy option. Located in Two Mile Bay, Cascades is a short hop to the Taupo city centre.
A naturally heated mineral pool, massage, spa and children’s playground. A magical combination of a place to stay and plenty to do with the kids or for yourself in the vicinity. Accommodation ranges from At Taupo DeBretts you’ll find a complete range of accommodation with a bed for every budget. Self-contained villas, one bedroom and two bedroom lodges, studios and chalets. Consider the Qualmark-rated 5 Star Holiday Park accommodation – from camping to campervan and RV sites, cabins and motels.
FOR MORE ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS IN TAUPO CHECK OUT
WHAT TO DO NEARBY TAUPO
- Taupo is beautiful, the grandeur of a crater lake, mountains and rivers
- Geothermal delights unique and specific to the area
- Tremendous outdoor activities to choose from active adventure tourism to a leisurely walk among native forests
- Maori hospitality with flair and imagination giving you a look inside a contemporary yet timeless culture
- Kids activities galore to keep the most active children engaged and entertained
- Indulgent soaks in warm therapeutic mineral waters with a massage to follow, it’s bliss
Check out TAUPO SHORT BREAK – Taupo 3 Days Trip Advisory for Families – Best Bits
COROMANDEL FAMILY FRIENDLY PLACES TO STAY
Beachside Resort Whitianga – offers contemporary motel accommodation and self-catering apartments featuring open plan living areas, private balconies and equipped kitchenettes. For families Beachside Resort has: Tennis Court.
Heated swimming pool, Playground, BBQ area, Boat washing and boat parking area.
TAIRUA – COROMANDEL PENINSULA
A touch of luxury in the holiday town of TAIRUA with airy, spacious contemporary apartments overlooking the Tairua shoreline. Guests can enjoy the harbour views on the terrace accompanied by a glass of wine at sunset, or enjoy breakfast when the sun rises. Pacific Harbour Villas is a 20-minute drive to Hot Water Beach and Cathedral Cove.
Bring your whole family on holiday at Pacific Harbour Villas on the ground floor villas. Pacific Harbour Villas is pet friendly all year round.
FOR MORE ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS IN COROMANDEL CHECK OUT
WHAT TO DO NEARBY
- Coromandel is an artist enclave with galleries and exhibitions
- cafes and restaurants for the urban weekender
- beaches for lazy afternoons, snorkelling adventures, kayaking and water skiing
- big game fishing or throwing a line from the wharf
- walks along coastal headlands with quintessential New Zealand scenery around every corner
- Bicycle for your cycling adventure Business Listings | Bicycle Hire
- Hot water beach and Cathedral Cove two NZ summer staples
Check out Whitianga travel guide, what to do & see, free attractions: Best Bits and remember you’re only 40 minutes away from Coromandel Town Things To Do & Places To See – Best Bits.
NEW PLYMOUTH, TARANAKI FAMILY FRIENDLY PLACES TO STAY
Stroll down to Fitzroy Beach, book a cooked breakfast or prepare for the family yourself in the well stocked kitchenette. The motel apartments are an easy flat 15 minute walk to the Len Lye centre with the stunning views of Mt Taranaki always in the frame. Beach Street Motel has E-bikes for hire.
Taranaki hotels offer family staycation travel deals, check for up to date information about travel packages especially in the low winter season.
Taranaki offers a great camping choice from classic no frills by the beach to comfortable holiday parks. Be prepared to leave the pet at home as most places will not accept your pooch in the peak summer season. Freedom camping is allowed in Taranaki check out online resources in section freedom camping for up to date information.
FOR MORE ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS IN TARANAKI CHECK OUT
WELLINGTON FAMILY FRIENDLY PLACES TO STAY
Wellington is a compact city, easy walks to key attractions with a great public transport system both train and bus. However it is not a city of palm trees and long sandy beaches rather it is a major cultural and political centre of New Zealand.
Recommended is Naumi Studio Wellington and plan not to cater at all, No cooking or cleaning. You are in the heart of Cuba Street where eateries are virtually wall to wall together with up and coming designers, second hand shops and galleries. The location 231-223 Cuba St, right in the middle of the action, yet the hotel is actually quiet. Apartments or hotel style rooms depending on the size of your family. A reasonably priced hotel in the centre of Wellington.
In the suburb of Newtown, opposite Wellington Hospital are clean contemporary apartments with access to the superb bus network outside the Sojourn reception area. Two bedroom apartments with a kitchenette offer visitors a chance to enjoy the fusion cafe scene of Newtown as well as easy and quick access to key attractions.
Located in Kilbirnie with the airport a short stop away and Miramar Weta Workshop the next suburb the conference hotel has a number of rooms suitable for larger family units or teams. The hotel rooms do NOT have kitchenette facilities. There is an outdoor pool heated during the summer months. There is no gym facility. Free airport shuttle service.
Staying in Wellington with family and friends
AirBNB is a favourite option for many families. Remember to check out where the suburb is located and the distance to your bucket list attractions.
FOR MORE ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS IN WELLINGTON CHECK OUT
WHAT TO DO NEARBY WELLINGTON
Eleven highlights making Wellington a cool little capital city:
- Cable car ride – cafe, an astronomical observatory and botanical gardens as part of the package
- Te Papa a must-go visit destination – a city of museums & galleries
- Weta Workshop – homegrown internationally renown film studio
- Delightful train journeys– wineries and charming Greytown to visit in the Wairarapa
- City shopping – where the word mall is not mentioned once
- Zealandia – A natural sanctuary nestled in the suburbs is an invitation you can’t turn down
- Cuba Street Friday markets – foodie heaven with the world’s cuisines represented in every food cart
- Ornate Victorian architecture – heritage buildings Old Government Building and military trails
- Matiu Somes Island – where quarantine, wartime prisoners and history has carved out a story in the middle of Wellington harbour
- Mt Cook lookout – Take in the panoramic view from
- Wellington Botanic Gardens – explore ten cool climate gardens
Some places are great without a Bondi beach on their doorstep and Wellington is one of these magical destinations.
BEST BITS TRAVEL GUIDE