Places to visit and things to do
Make a difference. Want a holiday that is sustainable and supports conservation? Auckland has places to visit where visitors will feel positive about the impact of people on the environment. It’s a holiday, from your routine with a difference. Give nature a helping hand. Donate, visit and support people who care.
HAURAKI GULF AND ISLANDS
Discover a natural predator barrier* the ocean creating sanctuaries for New Zealand’s native flora and fauna to flourish. It’s up to visitors to ensure pests are not re-introduced as they disembark from private vessels or public ferries.
- Remote quiet places where you can camp or stay in a heritage bungalow
- Soak in the serenity of an island with its views of twinkling Auckland in the distance
- Swim, snorkel, climb volcanic summits and spend time listening to bird song
- Volunteer or donate supporting ongoing projects
* Although pesky ships rats have learnt to swim long distances.
Aotea Great Barrier Islandlearn more
Rotoroa Islandlearn more
Tiritiri Matangi Islandlearn more
Motuihe Islandlearn more
Hauturu Little Barrier Islandlearn more
Motu Kaikoura Trustlearn more
Motuora Island Restoration Societylearn more
Motutapu Restoration Trustlearn more
Rangitoto Island Historic Conservation Trustlearn more
Travel pack information
BEST BITS TRAVEL GUIDE