How to find romantic getaways on the Coromandel Peninsula
Where memories are created. The Coromandel offers outdoors and quiet scenic spots for couples to escape. Pampering is second nature with resorts nestled in idyllic settings and foodie treats for a region known for its visitor friendly welcome.
SUNSET LOCATIONS IN THE COROMANDEL PENINSULA
A beach is a classic for sunset vistas where the world is painted orange, red and gold. Cathedral Cove is a very popular spot yet looking closer to Whitanga check out Wharehoka (Simpsons Beach)
- Matarangi fishing wharf with its rustic appearance
- Matarangi ocean beach
Matarangi’s key attraction is the stunning white 4.5 km sandy beach. For couples who golf there is a world class 18-hole golf course with a licensed club house, restaurant and pro-shop.
Enjoy street entertainment, and local delicacies at the A Taste of Matarangi festival held in April on the Village Green where a golf course becomes a venue for the weekend. For more information check out What’s so great about Matarangi.
EAT & DRINK – COROMANDEL PENINSULA
- The Dunes Restaurant and Bar (Matarangi) have stunning views over the manuriced golf course and the nearby Coromandel Ranges
- Whitianga waterfront restaurants and cafes, enjoy a boardwalk stroll and check out the blackboard menus
- Koutunu has the well known LUKE’S KITCHEN with its earthy wood fired pizzas, a great pick up after a day exploring the peninsula
Where to take a selfie together – Coromandel Peninsula
- Tairua lookout over the estuary and ocean beach with dinner afterwards
- Together in your DIVE ZONE wetsuits ready to go
- The coastline from your kayak hired at Hahei (afterwards fish n chips on the beach from the well known beach diner)
Check out What’s so great about Hahei for more ideas what to do and where to eat.
NEW CHUM BEACH – SELFIE HOT SPOT
Whangapoua and adjacent New Chums Beach (Wainuiototo Bay) have some serious and well deserved beach pulling power for domestic and international visitors alike. New Chums Beach has been voted in the top 10 beaches to visit in the world, and Whangapoua Beach, with its ready access is a strong contender in the beautiful beach stakes … check out…
What’s so great about Whangapoua for details:
- Waiau Falls (located 309 road) and take a dip afterwards, a short drive on 309 gravel road rewards visitors with a nature escape for two
Adventure together, stay together
- The Pinnacles (a few deep breaths together and offer a helping hand with the chain link support fence)
- Dive Zone, get into the water and discover a marine reef
- Coromandel Coastal Walkway
Indilge / Pampering – Coromandel Peninsula romantic things to do
- Wellness is synonymous with the Coromandel. Undeniably romantic is session of pampering and being nurtured. The Coromandel is home to quiet retreats with a focus on wellness and therapy for the soul. The landscape is a balm with its spaces to contemplate and relax into the natural cycles of life … learn more Finding wellness, retreats, workshops & spas – Coromandel Peninsula – Best Bits
- There is nothing more romantic than a boat under sail. The perfect way to explore Whitianga kicking back on a spacious catamaran. Jump on a 3hr Sailing Adventure exploring Cathedral Cove, Cooks Beach and more. It’s pure sailing fun without the hard work.
BEST BITS TRAVEL GUIDE
Best Bits travel guide is published by nzjane.com. Owned and managed by PacificJane Ltd.
Our editors independently visit tour operators, purchase tickets, pay for accommodation, and rate products and places. We are not paid to go on a tour or visit a place. We only make money if you decide to purchase a product through our website links. We promise to never accept free products from manufacturers in return for boosting their products. Read more about our affiliate programme in the terms and conditions HERE.