Discover Auckland’s diverse places to visit with urban cafes nestled in regional parks. The outdoors is ridiculously close, so close in fact there are several working farms to visit; open to the public within a ten minute bus ride from the city centre. Enjoy foodie treats in Auckland from cafes that pride themselves on farm to plate culture. Attractions range from adventure tourism to an art scene that reflects New Zealand’s unique Maori / Pacific / European bicultural identity.
WILD WEST COAST – PIHA & MURIWHAI
- Wild West Coast beaches, Piha and Muriwhai where surfers and ocean going gannets compete for your attention. The tempestuous ocean swells pound black iron sand beaches creating a mist softening the landscape between sea and sky. It is stunningly beautiful. The beaches are part of the coastline of a thread of regional parks where lush subtropical forests encourage visitors to lace up their walking boots.
NATURE’S WONDER – RANGITOTO ISLAND
- Rangitoto Island is a mystery in the middle of the Auckland harbour. The recently formed volcanic island is the story of the volatility of the earth’s crust to erupt into violent action. The lava strewn slopes and regenerating bush frame one of New Zealand ultimate day walks up the slope of Rangitoto to unparalleled views of Auckland, the harbour and the scenic Hauraki Gulf spectaled with islands and yachts.
HERITAGE, CULTURE & ART GALLERIES
- Discover history, heritage and the story of New Zealand. Enjoy a leisurely stroll through the heritage gardens at the Auckland Domain where the glassed horticultural species reside in the splendour of an Edwardian building, a Victorian cricket pavilion and the Auckland War Memorial Museum provide plenty of things to do and see. Pop into the nearby Auckland Art Gallery and enjoy the view of Albert park as you peruse New Zealand art. TIP: Don’t forget to check out the Auckland Art Gallery shop.
- Auckland is romantic, parks, quiet reserves with creeks and boardwalks, a superb cafe and dining culture and the contrast between sea, sky, city and outdoors unfolds at every corner of the region.
AMAZING AUCKLAND ADVENTURES
- Amazing Auckland adventures get a jump and rush from bungy jumping from the Sky tower or climbing the massive harbour bridge. The city and region offer challenges for adrenaline experiences from tree top canopy ziplining to skydiving.
WINE & VINEYARDS TO LINGER IN
- Three wine districts each have their own palate for foodie buffs. Auckland offers visitors vineyards to linger in, weekend markets to stroll among and all within 1 hour of the city centre. Taste and savour fusion Pacific cuisine prepared by locals whose award-winning restaurants and cafes are testament to farm to plate culture.
HAURAKI GULF ISLANDS
- Islands to visit where Tiritiri Matangi and Rotoroa eco-sanctuaries protect native wildlife. Spend a day or two exploring the Hauraki Gulf from Waiheke with its vineyards and wineries, Kawau Island with its heritage homestead and walks to quiet beaches or the marine reserve of Goat Island.
WALKS, BEACHES & RIVERS
- Auckland is New Zealand on a plate where nature is not a visitor experience; it’s Auckland’s backyard with scenic walks, beaches, rivers and waterfalls wrapped around native bush and pockets of lowland forest. Outdoors Auckland delivers visitor experiences with a great coffee, from a local cafe is always available. Auckland is an urban oasis where Waitemata harbour’s blue waters and subtropical bush sparkling waters and lush landscapes meet city sophistication.
SHOPPING & MARKETS
- Shopping, weekend markets at Matakana and elsewhere and the joy of finding a unique gift. The urban glamour of Auckland is exciting with Pasifika and Maori influences showcased in design and form. Visit suburban Auckland districts, Parnell and Ponsonby road to discover new and emerging artists. Crafty types who use their backyard, Auckland, New Zealand as their creative muse
FAMILIES – SUSTAINABLE TOURISM
- Embrace a place where families and kids are welcome from the interesting Museum of Transport and Technology, Auckland. For adventurous families the harbour, the waterways and beaches are a playground or families where conservation and sustainable tourism is part of the visitor experience Auckland delivers kiwi guardian programmes for kids and adults alike to share the activity.