Regional parks, heritage churches, coastal clfftops, vineyards
Discover quintessential New Zealand spirit in the small towns of Auckland. Find great places for a photo opportunity. Enjoy exploring heritage places where the only people are your family, friends or yourself.
The small kiwi towns below are part of our KIWI TOWNS series. Often the towns are on one of our road trips. Your holiday in Auckland offers a number of interesting roadies from a day exploring parks and small towns to a wander looping through the region. Take time to check out Auckland day, weekend and road trips for inspiration and stop at the small towns onroute.
- Walks along coastal cliffs
- Puhoi River kayak to the picturesque mouth of the Puhoi River, surrounded by forested headlands, to Wenderholm Regional Park.
- Weekend markets and vineyard courtyard brunch locations
- Tantilsing Auckland city to explore
“Best Bits” take a detour, wander down side roads. The journey is worth it.
AUCKLAND REGION FOOD & DRINK PHOTOS
Auckland is a regional hub for culinary adventures from pop up food truck markets, weekend markets, delis and cafes showcasing the best of Pakifisa cuisine. Enjoy the surprising delight of finding foodie treats in Auckland and nearby.
Your brunch / lunch at Puhoi Valley Cheese Cafe or pub meal in the historic Puhoi Hotel. Remember to sample Puhoi ice cream and take a selfiecheck out
Well known Leigh Bar and Eatery, is an imaginative New Zealand cafe fare combined with watching some sport on giant TV series. Or enjoy Leigh Eats, Fish n Chips. The fish is fresh from Leigh Fisheries fleet.check out
- Weekend markets in Matakana is a mouthwatering display of artisan food goodies from handcrafted sausages sizzling on a BBQ to deli cheeses and assorted jams, pickles and the scent of freshly baked bread in the air.
- Matakana is home to several well known restaurants and specialist goods stores.
- And it gets even better in Matakana with a well known wine trail with lots of potential selfie locations from Brick Bay Sculpture Trail to boutique family owned wineries.
WARKWORTH FOR LUNCH
- "So French" is a busy little cafe in Warkworth (45min north of Auckland) delivering great French food with a kiwi twist since 2013.
- PETE & MARYS EATERY, Authentic kiwi beautifully prepared cafe style food offerings.
- FRESH CAFE offers a large selection of freshly prepared counter food, great beginnings for a picnic
KUMEU – VINEYARDS
Vineyards, wineries courtyard brunch the perfect setting for a romantic moment or a girls get together with photo opportunities of the local tipple and groaning food platters.check out
Vineyards overlooking the Hauraki Gulf are a match made in selfie heaven. Your shot cannot be faulted with scenery like this.check out
AUCKLAND REGION SELFIE LOCATIONS
- Adorable cute wooden library. You wonder if there is enough room for books.
- Heritage picturesque Churchof Saints Peter and Paul
- Yourself kayaking the historic Puhoi River
- Yourself screaming at Spookers Scream
- Nothing like a puffing vintage steam train at Glenbrook for a touch of romantic nostalgia
- Awhitu Peninsula and Manukau Heads Lighthouse
- Possum Bourke statue for dedicated motorsport followers is a must for a photo location
- Backdrop of Auckland city as you depart on the ferry
- Ferry docking on Riverhead wharf
- Your Riverhead Tavern meal
- Shelly Bay wharf sunset on the Kaipara Harbour is romantic, finish the day with a burger from the nearby cafe
- Tree Adventures, the flying fox with you swinging high in the tree canopy
WELLSFORD - ROMANCE
Minniesdale Chapel is the stuff of wedding dreams. The glorious location of rolling hills, the Oruawharo River and neo-Gothic timber framed church is charm personified. The timber framework and stained glass windows of this little Gothic building can be hired for your wedding…check out
- Leigh coastal walk views of Omaha Bay, Little Barrier Island
- Ti Point Reptile Park, a crocodile and stunning views with you in the foreground
- Kaipara Cruises, FLOAT AWAY on Kaipara River Cruises on vintage boat snapping photos of the picturesque Kaipara Harbour
- You screaming (with joy) as you skydive tandem jump from a plane
- Kaipara Plant Centre viewpoints and sculptures
- BrokenWood TV series “Police Station” actually the grand Victorian former post office, a regal backdrop for a together / couple photo location
- Big Omaha Wharf Road will take you to the historic Big Omaha Wharf. The shed on top has been restored and there are information signs. From the wharf the view is across Whangateau Harbour to Point Wells and Omaha.
- Pohutukawa treeland on the cliffs at the southern end of Omaha Beach
- Walking tracks through the area as part of the Taniko Walkway. The views are outstanding
ATIU CREEK REGIONAL PARK is a working farm with panoramic views over the Kaipara and plenty of walking and mountain biking trails.check out
- Goat Island Marine Reserve Glass Bottom boat excursion to Goat Island marine reserve your legs, the fish below looking slightly distorted by the boat sides and moving water
- Leigh Coastal Walk is an elevated coastline track is either a paved path, gravel or boardwalk. Fabulous coastal lookout points
- Hop onboard Royal Mail cruise to Kawau Island and get the camera ready for action
- Mansion House with its ornate Victorian splendour
- Walks around the island
- Lady Bay with its quiet sandy cove
- Coppermine relics