AUCKLAND BEACHES, HIGHLIGHTS
- Mission Bay with award winning restaurants a slow sandy stroll from the promenade
- Auckland North Shore’s Takapuna Beach is where shopping is a breeze for the latest swim gear
- Collapse on a beach in the Hauraki Gulf rich in bird life, from Rotoroa Island to Great Barrier
- Explore Regional Parks where beaches, marine reserve and lowland forest offer walking trails to waterfalls
- Discover Snells Beach where Auckland locals hang out in the weekend
HAURAKI GULF ISLANDS
Escape from the city to an island. Auckland is a city perched on the edges of the sea with most suburbs overlooking the Hauraki Gulf or inner waterways. The Hauraki Gulf is a boaters paradise with world class yacht races testament to the joy of sailing (America Cup Race). The gulf is awash with bobbing vessels in summer plying the waters between the islands. The Gulf is an invitation to explore islands where native wildlife has a protected sanctuary from introduced predators. Find an island where a wine tour and vineyard restaurants overlook distant views of Auckland city sky tower or walk on an island where a recent volcanic eruption is still very evident.
AUCKLAND CITY BEACHES
Beaches, not surprisingly Auckland has great beaches within city boundaries as well as glorious beaches a short distance from the city centre. A relaxed lifestyle is the kiwi calling card. Unearth local secrets and find a beach.
NORTH SHORE AUCKLAND BEACHES
AUCKLAND WEST COAST BEACHES
The undoubted star for moody, driftwood beaches are Auckland West Coast Beaches. Auckland’s wild west coast offers a fascinating glimpse into the natural world. Surfers rejoice Auckland offers great surfing opportunities at Piha and beyond. For bird lovers Murwhai has ocean birds, gannets nesting on rock faces where visitors can peer at fledglings only 1 metre from the lookout platforms.