The gallery is housed in the historic Gables Colonial Hospital. Built in 1848, The Gables is the last of four hospitals built in the North Island as part of Governor George Grey’s policy to assimilate Māori into Pākehā culture. The name has echoes of the nineteenth century with the name ‘Native Hospital. The gallery has a series of rotating exhibitions of new and emerging artists with all works for sale. There are workshops and community classes.
An excellent place for art collectors to browse and chat about local talent.