Unearth a glorious homage to the classic Edwardian garden. There is a stunning rose garden, an observatory (former tea house / band rotunda), statues, and a Victorian Cross memorial garden.
- Shiny polish on the cannon is the result of generations of children climbing the cannon for birds eye view. Originally the cannon was carried to Hāwera in 1885 for the use of the Volunteer Rifle Company, who used it only once during a training day; the cannon was mounted in the Park in 1912. Historians may note that the cannon, which was cast in 1843 and was originally imported to defend Auckland, bears the coat of arms in King George III – who died in 1820.
- Wendy Statue Peter Pan and Wendy is a story for the ages – one that comes to life in King Edward Park. Explore the Park to find the famous bronze Wendy statue (the companion piece to the Peter Pan in London’s Kensington garden) – endlessly searching for the lost boys and in the park’s quiet pathways that lead to all sorts of hidden treasures
- Victoria Cross memorial is shaped like the Victoria Cross with statues of the two Sergeants John Gilroy Grant and Harry John Laurent, both from Hawera. Commemorative Oak trees alongside the Hāwera Water Tower were planted. For more details about the soldier’s heroism The Victoria Cross Garden.
- Sound Mirrors, during the installation the mayor commented, ‘They are a little bit of art, a little bit of fun and a whole lot of science combined’ The massive dishes stand over two and a half metres high. Facing each other over a distance of 50 metres the sound mirrors enable a person to whisper into the focal point of one dish while a friend can hear the whisper at the focal point of the other dish. Source Statues, sculptures and interesting things South Taranaki Local Council
- Originally a tea kiosk now an Observatory, with its century-old Cooke refractor telescope, replaced the rotunda in 1954. Now the Hāwera Astronomical Society venue for open nights, youth events and annual Puanga viewings. You can follow the Society on its Facebook page.