11 ROMANTIC HIGHLIGHTS ON A 14 DAY ROMANTIC TOUR OF NEW ZEALAND
- Gaze at the stars together – Great Barrier Island, an original island escape
- Have your cake and eat it to with a city / nature Auckland escape from urban cafes to quiet islands where native birds roam
- Feel the therapeutic power of a spa located in the soaring Southern Alps (Hanmer)
- Sunset does come any better than twinkling lights festooned through a Rotorua redwood tree canopy walk
… read more TOP 11 ROMANTIC PLACES IN NEW ZEALAND
LET’S START THE JOURNEY …
AUCKLAND 4 NIGHTS, 3 DAYS
Let’s tempt you with an island escape. Consider a leisurely Auckland city lunch, an opportunity to explore Aotearoa New Zealand’s vibrant Auckland wrapped around a trip to the Hauraki Gulf. Island time beckons.
HAURAKI GULF ISLANDS HIGHLIGHTS
- Gaze at the stars together, with GOOD HEAVENS is an International Dark Sky Sanctuary -a certified magnificent place for stargazing in New Zealand. Great Barrier is a short ferry / plane journey from central Auckland.
- Soak in the quiet serenity of Kaitoke Hot Springs hot pools overlooking native forest and bush
SHORT ON TIME
Catch a fifteen minute ferry ride to Rotoroa Island where rare metallic blue Takahe (flightless bird) wander pristine beaches and walking tracks create the perfect opportunity to enjoy Hauraki Gulf vistas.
Auckland’s Hauraki gulf harbour waters and islands are an antithesis to the bustle of city life. The Hauraki Gulf is a must-go destination for visitors intent on relaxing into the timeless pleasure, nature and the outdoors offers … read more Auckland staycation Hauraki Gulf Island – Best Bits.
TRIP IDEAS – HOW TO GET FROM AUCKLAND TO ROTORUA
- Road distance between Auckland & Rotorua is 225 km
- Fly (less than an hour from Auckland’s domestic airport), self-drive on one of New Zealand’s major aerial routes or hire a motorhome
ROTORUA – 3 DAYS, 2 NIGHTS
LET’S GET YOU BOTH SMOTHERED IN WARM GLOPPY (slightly smelly) MUD
World famous Rotorua with its geothermal geysers and boiling mud pools is a reliable visitor destination. Let’s go and explore off the beaten track to visit places where the large tour buses are not yet going. Warm soft lighting at sunset, great photo locations Rotorua delivers romance with a dab of Hells Gate mud.
Relish Rotorua’s ability to deliver romance. Adventure beckons with tandem zip lining and sunsets over the treetops. There are opportunities to picnic in secluded groves. Rotorua is where you will laugh together. For trip inspiration check out ROTORUA TRAVEL GUIDE and places to eat, Rotorua where to eat, dine and enjoy great views.
You want to pack everything into 12 hours, check out A day in Rotorua, the best things to do in 12 hours.
- Colonial Victorian building splendor in the historic grounds of Government House
- Indulged in a polynesian geothermal spa blissful soak
- Visit the iconic Te Puia wonderland of geysers, boiling mud and super hot steaming vents
- Cruise Lake Lake Rotoiti for more hot pools magic
- Check out the Californian redwood forests of Rotorua
- Find out more about traditional Maori culture and enjoy a hangi feast
TAUPO – 3 DAYS, 2 NIGHTS
- Unmissable Huka waterfalls is memorising with torrents of water, white foam and water power on full display just beneath your feet
- Taupo boat cruise to Maori rock art or the option of day fishing for trout, a regional delicacy
- Linger in Taupo’s many eateries
- Tremendous outdoor activities to choose from active adventure tourism to a leisurely walk among native forests
- Maori hospitality with flair and imagination giving you a look inside a contemporary yet timeless culture
Unearth and explore natural attractions on the geothermal explorer, state highway (SH) 5 between Rotorua and Taupo. The journey is picturesque with rolling hills and farmland interspersed with several major visitor destinations on the route… read more Rotorua to Taupo: Geothermal Scenic Highway – Best Bits.
SUNSET LOCATIONS IN TAUPO
- Cruise Lake Taupo at sunset on either under sail or a more leisurely option in a replica vintage steamboat
- Lake Taupo lookout is a great spot to catch panoramic views of Taupo, the lake and the snow capped peaks of Tongariro National Park
- Tokaanu Wharf is picturesque and quiet, the perfect sunset backdrop
- Your picnic on the Tongariro River trail, quiet flowing water over gleaming stones to powerful rapids.
… read more about Things to do for couples in Rotorua.
Flying into town you are close to Turangi and the nearby National Trout Centre, turn left exiting the airport and follow the signs south to Wellington. Tongariro river walk passes by the centre with tantalising glimpses of the river. The gleaming trout jostling for fish food is fun and the National Trout Centre is not crowded.
CHRISTCHURCH 4 DAYS, 3 NIGHTS
- Helicopter tours swoop over the Canterbury plains with city panoramic views of Christchurch and the Canterbury braided rivers
- Enjoy city attractions from the quaint vintage tram to the wide open spaces of the extensive botanical gardens
- Punt on the River Avon, quintessential romance year round joy slowly gliding through a beautiful park and past streetscape views
- Hop aboard the Christchurch’s Botanic Gardens caterpillar people mover for a leisurely guided tour of the natural heart of the city
A short break in Christchurch offers a great location to tap into the best the South island offers from boutique wine trail in North Canterbury, wildlife encounters with dolphins and penguins in Akaroa or a chance to relax in geothermal hot springs in Hanmer Springs … read more holiday ideas Christchurch romantic getaways, short staycations in the garden city – Best Bits.
Want to get away from it all while based in Christchurch?
Take the time to indulge in Greystone PURE POD experience.
Greystone is a homage to the unique limestone conglomerate supporting a 100% certified organic with BioGro vineyards. The wine is considered a snapshot of time, place and climate. Seasonality is everything … read more Greystone Wines: Waipara Wineries – Best Bits.
WHERE TO STAY IN HURUNUI?
There is so much to do in Hurunui… so slow down and enjoy the ride and drink in more than just the great wine!
It is without a doubt that there are so many amazing activities, places to explore, food and wine to enjoy and people to meet when it comes to meandering through New Zealand. This is why we love it and love sharing it with all those who seek it.
Greystone PurePod is set high above the award-winning Greystone Vineyard, less than an hour north of Christchurch, right in the heart of the Waipara Valley wine producing region.
MUST-DO IN CHRISTCHURCH – PUNTING ON THE AVON RIVER
Some things are meant to be. One of those moments is punting on the Avon River. Punting the Avon is the stuff of honeymoons and unforgettable romantic activity for couples.
Christchurch water sports take the slow lane. Not a jet ski or jet boat in sight, rather it’s elegant Edwardian clothing, a pole and a slowly guided punt on the Avon river.
Want to relax in one of the world’s great spas. Indulge yourself, take a day off and explore Hanmer. Enjoy a leisurely soak as nature’s geothermal waters gently cocoon you. You have the perfect reason to go nowhere. Hanmer is sensory. Relax into the day in one of the world’s great spa resorts.
TRIP IDEAS … HOW TO GET FROM CHRISTCHURCH TO AKAROA?
The best way to get from Christchurch to Akaroa is driving. There is no airport or train service to Akaroa. Visitors have the option of self-drive either with a rental car or motorhome, tour bus or public bus service.
The route, while on sealed well maintained roads, is narrow and windy in places as the road traverses Banks Peninsula.
82 km; approximately 1 ½ hours.
Consider the option of route state highway 74 and explore the historic port town of Lyttelton.
89 km; approximately 2 hours.
Lyttelton offers plenty of things to do with galleries, shops wrapped around the historic main street. Linger and enjoy the arty vibe of a port town Lyttelton. In no time at all the impressive road tunnel whisks visitors from Christchurch CBD in 20 minutes to the busy port town.
AKAROA 2 NIGHTS, 3 DAYS
- Swim with Hector dolphins on your wildlife cruise
- Explore picture postcard historic Akaroa’s French heritage streets with a baguette in hand
- Spend time wondering about old wives tales in Lyttelton, historic port town
- Laugh together while visiting the quirky Giants House
Akaroa is a ideal spot for couples with a touch of history for heritage fans, Akaroa cemeteries guide, 5 activities, things to see & do: Best Bits and yummy street food vendors to keep the energy levels up, check out Akaroa 7 street food destinations – Best Bits.
Akaroa Harbour is home to Hector’s dolphin. The world’s rarest and smallest oceanic dolphin that’s only found on the South Island of New Zealand.
Stretch out your holiday to three weeks + and check out further ideas for romantic things to do in New Zealand.
BEST BITS TRAVEL GUIDE