Discover the charms of historic farmhouses then it’s onto the attractive seaside town of Katikati with its quirky fire station museum, street murals and art galleries. The day finishes with time spent at the Bowentown Domain contemplating the strategic significance of the pa (fortified village) site and its views of the Pacific Ocean.
YOUR JOURNEY HAS FINISHED …
WHERE TO GO NEXT FROM WHAKATANE … CENTRAL NORTH ISLAND CONNECTIONS ARE … ?
PACIFIC HIGHWAY – BAY OF PLENTY TO GISBORNE
Finish your Bay of Plenty heritage road trip in OPOTIKI and continue on the Pacific Coast Highway to Gisborne and the East Cape.
TAURANGA LOOP TRIP
The Bay of Plenty heritage road trip can be a loop road trip. Return to Tauranga via a scenic interior route (SH30) passing Lake Rotoma, Lake Okataina and Okere waterfalls and a chance to go rafting on NZ’s highest commercially rafted waterfall. From scenic SH30 you can continue onwards to Tauranga where your journey started.
JOIN THE GEOTHERMAL HIGHWAY AT LAKE OKATAINA … AND EXPLORE ROTORUA
Decide to explore Aotearoa New Zealand’s hot spot, Rotorua. Rotorua is where the earth bubbles, hisses and roars with the power of geothermal energy.
WHAT CAN YOU DO IN TAURANGA FOR SEVERAL DAYS?
- Tauranga things to do for free – Best Bits
- Tauranga the odd, unusual and fascinating things to do – Best Bits
- Mount Maunganui, activities, events, attractions – Best Bits
- Bay of Plenty hot pools, mineral springs, attractions – Best Bits
- Whirinaki Te Pua-A-Tane conservation park guide – Best Bits
- In a day Hobbiton, Lord of the Rings day trip from Tauranga – Best Bits
WAIKATO GEM … Firth Tower & open air historical village – Best Bits a short hop from Tauranga and in the vicinity of Hobbiton.
BEST BITS TRAVEL GUIDE