Christchurch day trip to Hanmer hot springs is a year round treat
Take a scenic drive through rolling farmland, past tempting North Canterbury wineries and onto sub-alpine high country vistas that lead to the pretty resort town of Hanmer Springs. What to do in Hanmer Springs is indulge yourself. Highlights include a leisurely soak as nature’s geothermal waters gently cocoon you. The perfect reason to go nowhere. Hanmer is sensory. Relax into the day in one of the world’s great spa resorts.
On the road early (8.30 – 9.00am) ready for a breakfast / brunch to get the energy going. Amberley is a great place for a pit stop with Little Vintage Express a well known local favourite. Rustic mismatched furniture and communal spaces offer visitors an imaginative cafe style menu showcasing local ingredients. Growers are identified and the menu caters for all tastes and food groups. What’s more adorable than the Easter closing notice facebook photo
On the road with just over an hour to Hanmer. Check out Weka Pass What’s so great about Weka Pass what to see and best things to do andbeguilded by the thought of a heritage train ride. Bucket list Weka Pass as holiday inspiration for the next time.
ARRIVAL HANMER SPRINGS
Late morning you will arrive. Now it’s about the Hanmer Experience
THE HANMER EXPERIENCE
Hanmer is a thriving spa destination. Hanmer has avoided Queenstown’s mass tourism debate about crowded attractions and the subsequent impact on the environment.
THE HANMER EXPERIENCE – UNWIND & SOAK
Indulge in a range of water temperature controlled relaxing rock pools. You have a choice from invigorating sulphur pools, massaging water jets and bubbles to quiet waterfall flows cascading over yourself.
Treat yourself to a spa and massage treatment from facial treatments to hot stone therapy the warm mineral waters weave their magic. The mineralised water is over 150 years in the making as it eases you into the Hanmer Experience. Relax and watch the snow fall or summer breezes as you soak away the cares of the everyday world.
HANMER SPRINGS – WHAT TO SEE AND DO
Other than the day spent soaking, playing and relaxing into the Hanmer Experience the region offers a variety of things to do. Some highlights include
- Quirky Llama Trekking with llamas or simply hanging out with your new best buddies.
- Got the kids with you? Then check out Art in the Forest, look around the corner and meet the dog at the entrance to the Hanmer Heritage Forest in Hanmer Springs. Keep an eye out for his friends along the Forest Amble walk. How many can you find? Don’t forget to look up.
- Nearby is Conical Hill and Heritage Forest offering intriguing fantasy walks for all age groups as well as spectacular lookouts.
- Winter ski and soak option with MOUNT LYFORD ski field. The area is accessible from Hanmer Springs with a shuttle pick up at the access gate/ top of the village: 9:30am, returns at 4pm from the mountain $20/person. Booking is essential.
TIP: This is a multiple day option (overnight minimum).
- Shop in the Hanmer Experience retail outlet for handcrafted body lotions, skincare products and a gift voucher for a special someone.
For more information what to do and see in Hanmer Springs check Hanmer Springs travel guide, activities, what to do & see: NZ Jane
WHERE IS HANMER SPRINGS
For visitors who do not have a vehicle there is the option of Bus Christchurch to Hanmer Springs, Intercity is a national public bus company. Hanmer is 135 km from Christchurch or 130 km from Kaikoura. Hanmer Springs, at an altitude of 385 metres, is 135 kilometres north of Christchurch, off Lewis Pass Highway. NOTE There are local bus services which at the moment are either moving to a charter service or hibernating due to covid19.
Winter snow conditions. Hanmer Springs Ski Field Snow Forecasts and Conditions
Unique journeys, personal adventure