A top surfing beach, Mahia is a contrast to the calm paddling water at Ahuriri estuary. Discover a place to surf cast at Waipatiki beach or explore the Te Angiangi Marine Reserve. There is plenty of choice with Hawke’s Bay’s ocean beaches personality plus offering the joy of fossicking, of building sandcastles, walks, surfing and fishing and a swim between the flags. Hawke’s Bay beaches are ‘like no other,’ places definitely inviting further exploration.
TOP 5 BEACHES
- SURF AT MAHIA PENINSULA with the rolling ocean swells framed by beautiful white cliffs
- ARAMOANA BEACH & TE ANGIANGI MARINE RESERVE, rock pools, a beach and estuary
- TANGOIO BEACH is a rocky pebble beach where exploration and fossicking is key activity. The beach is a known surfing destination. Nearby White Pine Scenic Reserve walks round out a day at the beach.
- AHURIRI ESTUARY BEACH explore a wetland and enjoy safe sheltered beach
- PORT SANDY BEACH local Napier favourite, safe, sheltered swimming for everyone
BEST TIME TO GO
December to mid-March. Winter is surfing heaven with the heavy ocean swells creating over 2 metre wave curls.
The water temperature range is 18 to 20°C on around the 9th of February and are at their coldest on about the 28th of August, in the range 12 to 14°C. Check with Napier – Marine Parade Water Temperature (Sea) and Wetsuit Guide (Hawke’s Bay, New Zealand)
Remember to check water quality with Water Quality Hawke’s Bay before entering the water.
Port Sandy Beach (Napier)learn more
Mahia Beachlearn more
Aramoana Beach & Te Angiangi Marine Reservelearn more
Ahuriri Estuary & Beach (Napier)learn more
Tangoio Beachlearn more
Waipatiki Beachlearn more
Waimarama Beach (Havelock North)learn more
Ocean Beach (Hastings - Havelock North)learn more
Pourerere Beach (Waipukurau)learn more
Drivable Beachlearn more
Porangahau Beach (Waipukurau)learn more
Kairakau Beachlearn more
Mangakuri Beachlearn more
TRAVEL PACK INFORMATION
A shipwreck, a lighthouse and 9.00 km beach walk along Little Taikura Beach sounds fascinating. NZ topographic map reference for Taikura is https://www.topomap.co.nz/NZTopoMap?v=2&ll=-40.264314,176.679873&z=12
Unable to verify walking conditions or actually pinpoint the beach. Comments are welcome.
BEST BITS TRAVEL GUIDE.