7 places to go camping in Taupo: what to see & do, tips
Central North Island, Taupo, Tongariro and the lakes district is a quintessential New Zealand summer holiday experience. The freshwater lakes, opportunities to catch a trout for the BBQ, the chance to check out the bright lights of Taupo or take a quiet stroll along the Tongariro River are joys that build memories. For overseas visitors you will meet and greet locals as they form temporary camping fraternities. Tips about where to go and what to see from the locals is invaluable. Go camping and meet some locals.
Taupo DeBretts is the star of the camping world in Taupo. There is a range of STAY choices with a place for every budget. Awesome accommodation – self-contained villas, one bedroom and two bedroom lodges, studios and chalets, providing an indulgent escape and complete with panoramic lake and mountain views. The popular Qualmark-rated 5 Star Holiday Park accommodation ranges from camping to campervan and RV sites, cabins and motels. The bonus is the Taupo DeBretts Hot Springs, Pools and Water Park as part of the insite facilities available for campers. To book check out Taupo Accommodation at Taupo DeBretts Spa Resort for details and booking options.
What to do nearby Taupo DeBretts Holiday Park:
- Visit Craters of the Moon geothermal landscape, perfect family outing with a flat disabled accessible boardwalk
- A day trip to Orakei Korako to glimpse Pink, orange and White Terraces with its coated candy hillsides. Active geysers, steaming streams and New Zealand’s only geothermal cave.
- Jet Boat river rapids with Rapid’s Jet through remote bush-clad canyons with NZ Riverjet, or get up close with the torrential flows of the Huka Falls with Hukafalls Jet.
An oldie but a goodie with five acres of parklike grounds encircled by farmland. Acacia Bay Great Lake Taupo Holiday Park. The town centre is within working distance of 3 km with the northern boat ramps 1.5km. Acacia Bay is a well known swimming location.
What to do nearby Great Lake Taupo Holiday Park:
- Acacia Bay walking trail local secret, Whakamoenga Point walk is a 15 min stroll through shaded native bush until you reach the stunning rock ledges on the lake.
- L’arté Cafe & Gallery is a cafe with delicious food, studio shop and tiling everywhere making it a fun place to visit.
- Rangatira Point Track: Taupō area, Central North Island. An easy walk wending through native bush to the lake edge, picnic spots, fantastic views, rocks to jump off into the lake and space for everyone. “At the end of Te Kopua Street is Te Kopua Reserve. Our in-house Acacia Bay map shows a walking track down to a private beach area and great swimming spot. The final section of this walk is Whakamoenga Point.
- Another great local spot is. Whakamoenga Point, jump off rocks into the lake, kayak around to the carving or throw a fish into the lake, the total walking distance is 3km.
Mature trees in 5 acres of parkland together the TOP TEN high standards of hygiene and maintenance make this location a great place to STAY. The top ten is the closest holiday park to the town’s centre, only 1.5 km making a quick shot of coffee doable for busy families. The park buildings are spacious so there is a sense of privacy and seclusion. The camp has a range of STAY options from basic non-powered tent sites for backpackers to motel units. To book check our Taupo TOP 10 Holiday Park for details and options.
What to do nearby Taupo Top Ten Holiday Park:
- Location makes this a great choice for foodie fans who wish to explore Taupo’s dining scene. Forget about cooking, dinner is only a short 20 minute away.
- Indulge in the Holiday Park’s plunge thermal pool facilities
- Nighttime strolls along the lake’s waterfront is a romantic gesture that does not cost the earth.
- Otumuheke Stream at Spa Thermal Park warm natural mineral waters flows gently into the Waikato River, providing a free outdoor spa. Free entry. Location County Avenue, Spa Thermal Park
Lake Taupo Holiday Resort: Thermally Heated Lagoon Pool is a destination resort with a lagoon, children’s extensive activity entertainment area, quiet secluded spaces for time out. A special treat is the swim up bar for grown ups. Accommodation ranges from basic tenting to family cottages with everything in between. To book check out The Resort | Family Accommodation.
What to do nearby Lake Taupo Holiday Resort:
- Jet boating theRangitaiki, Grade 3-4,is a family favourite with 2 hours of thrills and action through the Kaingaroa Forest.
- Visit Whakapapa and explore the short walks in the vicinity of the village
- Fly fishing the Tongariro River is a favourite for avid fans
For lakeside locations you can’t look past Motutere Bay Top Ten Holiday Park. Actual lakefront situated halfway between Taupo and Turangi making it the great base to explore the region. We are only 20 minutes’ drive from everything Taupo has to offer in summer, yet only 45 minutes from Whakapapa ski fields for your winter adventure. To book check out for details Motutere Bay TOP 10 Holiday Park.
What to do nearby Motutere Top Ten Holiday Park:
- Skiing at Whakapapa is less than an hour
- Explore the Old Coach Road cycle trail
Immerse yourself in a summer season on the shores of Lake Taupo
Tongariro Holiday Park is a great budget friendly place situated on the borders of the Tongariro national park. Accommodation options for all seasons. Choose from over 40 clean, dry cabins, powered campervan or caravan sites or non-powered Tongariro camping sites for tents. Ensuite Cabins or King Studio Self Contained Units offer a degree of comfort. To book check out Tongariro Holiday Park for details.
What to do nearby Tongariro Holiday Park:
- The iconic Tongariro Crossing
- Explore the National Park walks
- Treat yourself to afternoon tea at the Chateau Tongariro
Certified self-contained vehicles may camp anywhere in the district for a maximum of three nights/four days on any council-controlled land with the exception of Ferry Road and reserves.
Travel Pack Information
- Check relevant STAY operator online resource for up to date information
- Peak season, summer forward bookings are recommended
- For activities forward booking during summer peak season is recommended
The journey is worth it.