Adventure or picnics plenty of choice doing stuff together
Discover Christchurch, a city with romance in its revitalised soul. Find the glorious Antigua boat sheds, walk alongside the Avon river wending its way through the city heart and enjoy strolling in glorious Botanic gardens. The rejuvenated city has a vintage tram to whisk you around from art deco New Regent street to street art mural laneways. Romance and Christchurch go hand in hand.
A moment where nature provides the backdrop
- New Brighton Pier stunning sunrise and sunsets, the perfect place after a visit to New Brighton Hot Pools
- Street art murals to create a personalised humorous take on your holiday together
- Botanic Gardens and spring Japanese cherry blossoms
- Port Hills Gondola ride, capture sunset with your partner framed by hills, harbour and city twilight.
Let nature give you a hand in the romantic stakes with the option of wet weather alternatives.The impromptu feel of a picnic is the stuff of dreams, with help from Miss Lilly’s Catering — Bespoke Picnics Catering you’ve got it sorted.
- Edmonds Factory Garden in spring, spilling over with scented roses, pergolas with climbing geraniums, seating in quiet corners and the memory of Nana’s baking make this a great place to spend time together. Wet weather: Ferrymead Heritage Park
- Millbrook Reserve is a beautifully curated English style garden restful with riverside picnic spots and mature trees. A highlight is spring with flowering azaleas, rhododendrons and camellias. A hint that the place is romantic: Millbrook is a popular local venue for outdoor weddings and photography. Wet weather: Merivale offers plenty of indoor cafe options
- Botanic Gardens, the unmissable botanic gardens offer spring cherry blossoms, winter lush native bush and the Avon River with boats leisurely punting the placid river. A garden of all seasons with the option of wet weather dash into the Canterbury Museum or nearby Arts Centre
Read more about Christchurch 10 top picnic spots and find your private space to build your memory moments together.
WHERE TO TAKE A SELFIE TOGETHER
- Outdoors, your picnic supplies, your chosen location and lots of smiles
- Gondola ride up the Port Hills
- Punting on the River Avon is an oldie but goodie
- Historic Antigua Boat Sheds. For over 130 years, these beautiful sheds have had a part to play in Christchurch’s history
- Botanic Gardens, where to start, the place is packed with beautiful locations from gnarled tree trunks, native bush reserve, flowering beds, roses, shrubs and a river running through the grounds
- New Regent street pastel Art Deco vibe TIP: Try to snap the vintage tram in your background as it passes through
Let’s get out of town
Rangiora’s Ashley Gorge is a 50 minute drive from the CBD. The reserve is virtually within the town centre located on the southern banks of the Ashley/Rakahuri River. Its proximity to the town makes it a popular spot in summer with Rangiora residents and visitors. Regeneration planting has created a beautiful lush bush environment to throw down the picnic rug. An electric BBQ is provided on the site as well as toilets and picnic tables. Every summer a safe swimming hole is dug in the Ashley/Rakahuri River adjacent to the picnic ground.
Read more What’s so great about Rangiora, nothing like a road trip designed with you in mind.
SNUGGLE TOGETHER – BACK ROW AT THE MOVIES
Perfect year round and it doesn’t matter what the weather is up to. Lumière Cinema in the Arts Centre is a must-go venue for the romantic at heart. The Arts Centre has the plush city sophisticated Art Deco Bijou Bar for pre-movie drinks. Perhaps you will choose the Lumiere experience of vintage ambience, comforty well spaced seating with a side table stocked with a cheese platter and glass of wine.
NEW REGENT STREET – TABLE FOR TWO
Art Deco elegance and an intimate restaurant is the definition of caring.
Count the steps to TWENTY SEVEN STEPS and enjoy a night on the town.
Consider the intimate Story | Christchurch Coffee, Snack, Dinner or Drink, with its seasonal menu and option of a set menu where the budget is planned for
CHRISTCHURCH TRAMWAY RESTAURANT – TABLE FOR TWO
Fun, the table is moving, changing night sights and an intimate dining experience and a piece of Christchurch history on the heritage Christchurch Tramway Restaurant.
Read more about Christchurch foodie experiences and Christchurch brunch, lunch and everything in between.
GO PUNTING ON THE AVON
This is not a clique, it is an authentic Christchurch. Punting the Avon has been a romantic pastime for over a hundred years so it definitely has got the tick of approval.
WET WEATHER: It is fun with an umbrella and rug to keep you snuggled up together.
THOSE WHO ADVENTURE TOGETHER, STAY TOGETHER
Supa Karts, adrenaline bumps as you compete against your partner. Laugh uproariously as you career around the track. Visit Go Karting Track -Supa Karts Next Level – Fun Motorsport Action brace yourself for a bucket load of jolting fun.
INDULGE – HOT POOLS ANYONE
He Puna Taimoana with five heated, saltwater pools, a separate two-metre-deep cold plunge pool and a sauna with a magnificent ocean view. Soak up the views, unwind after exploring New Brighton.
There’s also a café within the pool complex. Rejuvenated New Brighton pedestrian mall has plenty of eateries to while away the rest of the day together. Consider Three Donkeys specialising in SE Asian food or The Burger Joint for a classic burger to eat on the pier as the sun sets.
SOLVE A MYSTERY TOGETHER
Virtual reality magic when you team up together and play Jungle Quest or Chernobyl with VR Escape Rooms — CodeBreakers – Christchurch Escape Room. It is definitely a team effort and a great date night idea.
For further inspiration check out Christchurch five short walks or day trips for foodie lovers a chance to get out of Christchurch and explore North Canterbury, Hurunui wine and food trail
And let’s not break the bank, check Indulge Ten tips for a romantic holiday location on a budget
BEST BITS TRAVEL GUIDE