Eat, drink and entertainment in Christchurch
Christchurch nightlife is a speak-easy bar, a basement that is hard to find, a rooftop bar with a view and a tramcar where dinner is served. Christchurch has reinvented itself as a place where night entertainment is contemporary, filled with optimism and always the home of great craft beer. For a romantic night Christchurch offers couples a great way to finish your holiday. Check out for more romantic things to do in Christchurch romantic places, couples things to do.
- PINK LADY
Rooftop drinks at the Pink Lady is a rite of passage for a foodie tour of Christchurch. Enjoy the sweeping views of the city from the Manchester Street building, now home to the Muse Art Hotel and its rooftop bar. The bar has a selected food menu and is well known for its cocktails and its impressive selection of pink wine (rosé). You may have to wait for a table (they don’t take bookings). Relax in the ground floor bar and enjoy the ambiance of the Muse Art Hotel
A slice of the past in a glorious neo-Renaissance building is where you will find a speak-easy. The OGB | Christchurch’s Best Bar & Cocktail Lounge crew are in starched white shirts, suspenders and newsboy caps. The ladies in slinky 1920’s gowns. It is charming, authentic music and drinks to match. There are loads of memorabilia to look at as you sip your cocktail. And the bar food is a delicious platter assortment of fresh fruit, cheeses, and yummy bites. The perfect place for a romantic get together with old fashioned hospitality setting the scene for a great night on the town.
- BREWIERES AND PUBS
- Pomeroy’s Historic Brewery Inn. A classic hotel and heritage site, the inner city hotel is a convivial meeting point for visitors and locals with the scent of classic pub fare adding to the cosy atmosphere. Pomeroys takes joy from presenting patrons with over 31 taps of prize-winning beers and wines of local and international suppliers.
- Smash Palace. A stalwart of the Christchurch rebuild in its converted bus, Smash Palace has found a permanent home on High Street, after a few years on Victoria Street. A bar continues to have a devoted following.
- Carlton Bar and Eatery. Historic pub is the place to go for reasonably priced classic fare and classic entertainment. Remember to tap your toes to the live music.
- Austin Bar. Down a lane, then underground to the basement with the final obstacle a password is a disused underground station now the AUSTIN BAR. Getting there is half the fun with Austin definitely guaranteeing a great night out. Live music and entertainment aplenty.
CHRISTCHURCH ART GALLERY
Treasury of art under lights.
The gallery has held a number of summer late night tours together with pop up food trucks.
The tours were free and it’s a great introduction to arty Christchurch.
Check Christchurch Art Gallery for events if visiting the city in the summer months.
- TRAMWAY RESTAURANT
Action, lights, movement as your table and yourself leisurely tour the city . The Christchurch tram nighttime dining experience is fun. The Tramway Restaurant is transport with class. Lit up with soft lighting and smiling patrons who would not want to join the party. It’s a Christchurch institution for visitors and locals alike. With seating for 36 guests the dining experience is very social with the narrow aisles encouraging you to meet new found friends. The food is great, yet sometimes a night out is not just about the meal, it’s the occasion of rolling down the street in a tramcar that counts as memorable.
- NEW REGENT STREET
The pedestrian laneway is beautiful with Twenty Seven Steps (its twenty seven steps upstairs to the cosy restaurant) a delightful dining choice before a concert. For a touch of Italy Francesca’s Italian Kitchen is another dining option.
- Isaac Theatre Royal, in its gloriously restored splendour is a hop, skip and jump away. The theatre hosted contemporary songtress Lorde, orchestral shows and Scooby Doo Live. Variety is the spice of the Theatre’s repoetorie offerings. The venue is also home to the New Zealand International Film Festival and doubles as a local favourite for weddings, dinners and conferences.
What to see growups try out the local playground. Check out Dance-O-Mat or Margaret Mahy Family Playground where adults come out to play after dark.
Check out the Boxed Quarter, SALT district in Christchurch best places to eat & drink
BEST BITS TRAVEL GUIDE