Old Government House, completed in 1856, was the first mansion of its kind built in New Zealand. Classical in style with much of the timber facade cut to resemble stone, it played an important part in the government of New Zealand until 1865 when the capital was moved to Wellington. For the next century it was Auckland’s viceregal residence. Royalty stayed there six times and the present Queen broadcast her Christmas speech to the Commonwealth from upstairs in 1953. Now the building is now a staff common room for the University of Auckland.
Old Government House forms part of the heritage landscape of Auckland, learn more about Heritage buildings in Auckland.