The Auckland Chief Post Office (CPO) is an imposing public building at the foot of Queen Street, the main commercial thoroughfare in the city. Built in 1909-1912, it indicates the importance of the postal service as a state-run network for public welfare and communication. The building was constructed at the hub of the city’s transport system, next to the ferry building, tram terminus and original railway building, as well as the commercial wharves. It was heralded as a milestone in the progress of the city, and opened by the Prime Minister, William Massey (1856-1925), in front of a crowd of 8,000-10,000 people in 1912.
Britomart Former Chief Post Office forms part of the heritage landscape of Auckland, learn more about Heritage buildings in Auckland.