Auckland city of sails offers romance served up on a plate overlooking the city of sails, superb panoramic views and quiet places where roses bloom in the Parnell Garden…
- The place has got it all, superb dining with views to jump from. The Sky Tower, Auckland City offers an unobstructed panoramic sight of the city. All you have to do is catch a lift.
TIP: Remember to book dinner at the Orbit
- Wynyard Quarter Silo Marina has classy yachts, sweeping views across Westhaven Marina embracing Auckland Harbour Bridge. It is a view that sums up urban city life, Auckland style
- Bastion Point, Orakei sunset silhouettes Auckland against the setting sun with Rangitoto Island a black shadow in the Waitemata harbour. And remember to check out dining options in trendy Mission Bay
- What’s in a name. How about Sunset Bay? Beach Haven wharf and pier are located in Sunset Bay and the inner waterways of the Waitemata harbour. Moored yachts, Greenhithe Bridge and the waterways deliver superb sunset romantic moments.
WHERE TO TAKE A SELFIE TOGETHER
- Muriwai Beach with soaring gannets, picturesque coastal walks, iron black sands glimmering in the setting sun and nature’s artistic driftwood displays create a great canvas for a selfie shot together
- Visit Devonport on the ferry, great harbour shots of yourselves and departing ferry and then explore the heritage suburb. Devonport is a classic seaside town with a waterfront boardwalk and a beach reserve. The Torpedo Bay Museum offers great views of the city skyline and Sky Tower. Read more Day trip to Devonport town, travel guide, what to do & see: Best Bits
- Auckland Domain’s many walking paths, including Lovers Lane. In spring it is hopelessly romantic with blossoms scattered throughout the pathway.
HOW ABOUT ADVENTURE TOGETHER
SkyDive Auckland is New Zealand’s best tandem dive operator and based in Auckland. Throw yourselves out of a perfectly safe plane. Redefine your sense of adventure and skydive.
TIP: Not yet ready to jump. Volunteer to video your loved one as they float down to the drop zone. Sharing is caring (or filming).
Auckland residents just need to look out their windows at Rangitoto Island for kayaking inspiration. Kayak in the setting sun to the island with Auckland Sea Kayaks. The bonus is a dinner at the St Heliers Bay boat ramp with your new found kayaking buddies.
HOW ABOUT A ROMANTIC STROLL
If being hot and sweaty is out then enjoy a stroll with lots of hand holding. The requirements of an urban saunter are: cafes nearby, urban meets green spaces, accessibility (carparking). It can seem an oxymoron to suggest driving to a car park to go for a walk.
TIP: Check out the train routes and your accommodation to see if you can go carless for the day.
PARNELL ROSE GARDENS
Parnell Rose Gardens to Judges Bay. For couples interested in heritage plus scenery this is a great short walk. Spring is heaven with the roses in full bloom and scenting the paths although any time of year there are glorious views and cafes along the way. Read more Parnell Rose Gardens – nzjane.
Silo Park, Viaduct Harbour is where you will find the New Zealand Maritime Museum, pop up weekend markets and numerous cafes and restaurants. Stroll from the city centre and the historic wharf area following the footsteps of early Auckland enjoy together the changing urban landscape from gritty wharf to repurposed entertainment centre.
You will pass the Hauraki Gulf ferries, check timetables and ponder about a day trip to one of the many destinations tempting you to hop on board. For ideas about finding a romantic island check out a Weekend escape to your private island, Rotoroa Island, Hauraki Gulf.
EATING OUT IN AUCKLAND
Romance does not mean fine dining (although pampering is a good thing) it can mean sharing a delicious Asian fusion / Pacific inspired takeout from a night market or a crisp pastry from the weekend French market.
HERITAGE HOTEL HIGH TEA
- High tea is romantic, the delicate array of cakes and sandwiches and the fine china. Hectors Restaurant at the Heritage Hotel offers a contemporary take on high tea. The restaurant has added vegan options to their high tea menu. Melt in the mouth Chia mousse anyone. Forward bookings are essential.
GO BOWLING IN A BAR
- Unbeatable views of the viaduct harbour with the bonus of an inhouse brewery and bowling lanes. It is unusual, fun and creates those shared couple moments going out and about. Dr Rudi’s Rooftop Brewing Company. Fun is accompanied by pub staples of chicken wings, fries and pizza. There are two lanes open on a first-come, first-bowling basis to anyone who wants to try them.
JOIN A GUIDED WALKING TOUR
- Locals will find out about the city things they didn’t know and visitors thoroughly enjoy exploring Auckland with an experienced local guide. AuckyWalky will introduce you to the Five Hearts of Auckland by artist Sara Hughes. Large vibrant street murals of hearts, the perfect romantic spot for a quick Facebook post together.
ROMANCE ON A BUDGET
Indulge 10 tips for a romantic holiday location on a budget and enjoy the moments together.
INSPIRATION … WHERE TO GO
For more inspiration for romantic spots consider a picnic is the beautiful open spaces of Auckland gardens. There is nothing better than a beautiful garden. Glorious autumn foliage is also a serious competitor in the romantic stakes, check out ideas Autumn in Auckland where to go. And you still cannot make up your time with choices galore, consult Amazing Auckland travel guide for the holiday of your dreams.
8 gardens to visit in Aucklandlearn more
Autumn in Auckland, 9 inspiring placeslearn more
Auckland 5 picnic spotslearn more
BEST BITS TRAVEL GUIDE